winter light

Its not doing a great deal for me. I mean its not BAD, but its crying out for more sky to be seen.

Cheers. It's being returned due to dirty sensor at the top hence more foreground "action".

Lovely moody image - if a trifle cold for today. Typical Yorkshireman comment on a South coast beach. . . . Now if it had been Scarborough! But then the light would have been in the wrong place. Hope you get the camera sorted - at that price you expect perfection.

Have to say I go with Bachs on the good aspect of this shot ... it has all the ingredients for a potentially great pic !

But then I go with GfK in that it is so clearly a great sky begging to be fitted in !

Dirty sensor ... what's all that about Milou as bought or stuff you managed to import ? Bad luck at any rate on a new toy !

TFST ...

The shot's got more going for it then against it, its not far of being a great shot. I think it could be that foreground is really upon you then changes quickly, and the mid-ground goes on for much longer, the background sky ends abruptly, the rhythm's a little bit out

if that makes sense

Something thats appealing about it, I like the approaching storm look. Got to be honest and say theres obviously not alot going on in the shot, but that could add to the anticipation of what the changing weather may bring.

Thanks for sharing;)

I've had another look this morning and I still like it a lot.
There's something about those 2 pebbles(?) at the bottom that add to the shot, I think it's the stronger colour.

I just dropped the image into Photoshop and did a curves adjustment which really added contrast and colour and made the whole image pop and made the stormy look more menacing.

It's a very personal thing but if you want to try it, open the curves command, click in 3 points on the curve line and manually enter these values for input/output: 59/48 128/125 201/208

Just paint in some wings on the sensor dust spots and you have some nice seagulls :whistle2:

Cheers. A fair few of my snaps are bleak but I want crashing rocks and manly seas with all the attendent danger so I'm off to Cornwall towards the end of the month (Mrs Mil is away in Sweden with work so I should have a fair old time...).

Thanks though Bachs - I'll try the curves thingy - I tend to do levels and a bit of USM only (must read that Martin Evening book) & thanks for the laugh about turning specks in seagulls...might work!

[edit - tried the curves adjustment - much better cheers - more contrast I guess?]

The camera was changed today. Reckon it had been brought in from another branch and might have been a demo or a loaner or something. Wouldn't chuck in a 24-105L though.

Here's a shot from yesterday but with loads of sharpening added to show the crud (and hence the halo around the stake). This was also taken about 5 mins after a snow flurry.

IMG_0069-01.jpg

So is that snow on the lens or dirt on the sensor Milou ? :ponders:

Very tasty shot otherwise though ! :smilenod:

The sensor crud hence the camera being exchanged this morning. The viewfinder was also filthy too.

Love the latest shot Milou.
Shame about the halo but there's a way of fixing it at time of editing.

It's on my list for the video tutorials if I can ever get 5 mins spare time again :confused:

Now that IS a dirty sensor milou. I thought when I read your intention to return it that you were being a bit picky maybe but I see you weren't.

Milou, I've been looking through your blog and the images are very, very good. Absolutely love them.

What I'd be interested to know is how are you post processing these? Or is the sharpness and clarity, colour and saturation just down to the kit you're using and talent?

This very much a look I'd like to be able achieve occasionally..........

heh - cheers :) Appreciated :)

The 17-40L is a fab lens - I did umm and ahh about getting it last June but I'm so glad I did. I mostly like shoreline scenes and working at home two days a week means that I can nip out in the afternoon for the good light hopefully with some stormy weather. I tend to use the Cokin P filters - the 0.6 and 0.9 ND grads only and on occasion a polariser. (The Cokin filters are going to have to go at some stage as they intrude into the full frame - at present I'm going to have to handhold 'em in front of the lens!).

Post processing is usually levels and USM (and clone for sensor crud). I must admit I thought that when I started the blog I would shoot mostly urban stuff but it hasn't worked out that way and also I thought I'd be more proficient at PS. I guess I try to get things right in cam first and consequently I tend to bracket shots, mostly af f/16 and various shutter speeds.

Jamey [Fingerz] and I started a blog about the same time - well, he started first and I took inspiration from him.

Glad you like the photos though - Mrs Mil reckons I should take more photos of people (which i find difficult to do), stone circles (which I like anyway) and wildlife. Some of the wildlife photos posted here are fab and I guess there can be lots of waiting for the right shot.

That is a beaut of a shot Milou. As has been said, it's crying for more sky, but you've addressed that :)

That *is* one dirty sensor. Are you sure it's not got measles? :D

I've been toying with the idea of a blog myself.
Just looking at your site now, it looks set up perfectly for the sort of thing I had in mind.
Please tell it's based on some pre-written code and not all done from scratch by yourself, it looks just right for me :D

Marcel said:
Just looking at your site now, it looks set up perfectly for the sort of thing I had in mind.
Please tell it's based on some pre-written code and not all done from scratch by yourself, it looks just right for me :D
http://www.my-expressions.com/

Nicely done Milou, good work on the blog too

Happy new camera Milou. :) That's a lovely shot. I haven't used my 17-40L too much yet, but I noticed straight away the colour saturation is really nice. Tack sharp too.

Great first shot. :thumb:

Ta. Looks like this cam is also being returned. Just spent most of the day out and about with it - brought it home and now it's died. Just will not switch on.

Bad luck - sounds like your best off with a new start, I think that one must be cursed:(

BTW you checked the batteries - sorry, couldnt resist;)

Blimey, not having much luck at all are you? If it's as cold down there as it is up here, the batteries will die on you pretty quickly. Hope you didn't bring it straight into the warm - could just be condensation?

Cheers CT - wondered if it was condensation but I've treated it better than the 300D in that respect (with which I've never had any trouble). In case it was, I left the cam overnight with the battery out and the battery door open but it's still dead. So cam no 2 is being returned. I think I'll ask for my money back and go to a different supplier.

Same supplier = compensation?

Can't you wangle some free stuff out of them for all the trouble? Can't believe the hassle you've had mate.

Two duff cameras is bad, but to be fair, both my 20D and 1D, were faulty and had to be exchanged - both card read problems.

Back