Winter Motorsports in/around Northants.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

With the bulk of the racing season (that i usually follow) being over or nearly over now I was wondering if you good people can give me any information on winter motorsports in or around Northants or the surrounding counties?

i'm not too fussed by what it is as i can watch (and photograph) just about anything so cars, bikes, trucks, planes, circuits, rallies etc etc etc are all welcome. Also winter testing etc.

Linsk to websites etc would be great.

Rockingham stages December 10 + 11

Thanks for that Munch, What's Rockingham like for photography from the spectator areas? I've never been to Rockingham but I've seen plenty of racing from there on tv and the fences look like they're make taking decent photos very hard.

Not to sure really as I have never taken photographs from the "outfield"

I believe that in other years they have gone to the "outside" of the oval

Rockingham is a good spectator venue, but not a good photography venue, unless its a big meeting and you can get high up in the stands to get the colour of the crowd.

I am not sure if you can get to the infield for the Rockingham Stages rally but the pit garage roof terrace allows a clear pan shot along the start finish straight and the pit lane. Otherwise there is an area at Tarzan where you can get a cornering shot.

Rockingham is a good spectator venue, but not a good photography venue, unless its a big meeting and you can get high up in the stands to get the colour of the crowd.

I am not sure if you can get to the infield for the Rockingham Stages rally but the pit garage roof terrace allows a clear pan shot along the start finish straight and the pit lane. Otherwise there is an area at Tarzan where you can get a cornering shot.

Cheers Andrew, am I wrong in thinking that the pit roof terrace is a hospitality area? I know someone who won VIP tickets to the BTCC there last year (or the year before) and I'm sure I remember them saying they were on top of the pit garages.

Why not chase some Road Rallies? Much more challenging to shoot ;)

I'd love to try something like that Tina, but to the best of my knowledge there's nothing like that anywhere near where I am and this time of the year I don't have the spare time to dedicate to travelling to Wales for Rally GB for example. I know there's loads of club level rallying etc, that's just an example.

Having said that my missus is from Co. Armagh and quite often her parents have the road past their house, or the at the bottom of the road they live on, closed off for various rallies and bike road racing, And the Northwest 200 goes on pretty close by so I can see her folks getting more frequent visits from us next year ;)

You could work off some excess turkey by going to the Mallory Park Plum Pudding race meeting on Boxing Day ;)

[And they have a pre-event test day on the Wednesday before Xmas]

You could work off some excess turkey by going to the Mallory Park Plum Pudding race meeting on Boxing Day ;)

[And they have a pre-event test day on the Wednesday before Xmas]

Sounds like a good day out, sadly the inlaws are coming over to visit on Boxing Day so I've got to pick them up from the airport and I'm working the Wednesday before Christmas.

Sounds like a good day out, sadly the inlaws are coming over to visit on Boxing Day so I've got to pick them up from the airport and I'm working the Wednesday before Christmas.

That's the reason I go to the Plum Pudding Race :D

I think you'll find only the main stand is open for spectators for the Rockingham Stages. I don't think the paddock or garage roofs are accessible as the paddock area may form part of the stages.
A bit further afield than Northants, but there is the Britcar Into The Night Race this Saturday at Brands Hatch and on Sunday is the Tamdown Stages Rally at Snetterton. On January 22nd 2012, there is another rally being held at Brands Hatch.

Thanks for the info Neil, I play rugby so most saturdays are a no go this time of year unfortunately.

The rally at snetterton in January might be worth a trip though, i'll look in to it.

Thanks for the info Neil, I play rugby so most saturdays are a no go this time of year unfortunately.

The rally at snetterton in January might be worth a trip though, i'll look in to it.

Rally at Snetterton is this Sunday. Brands Hatch rally is January.

Theres a drifting day at Santa Pod on the 3rd and on the 14th. Might consider going down on the 14th as a spectator (Saturday looks like bad weather not so pleasant for shooting in). Not sure whether you can take pics or get into good positions too? Anyone? Or if there is anyone going wishing to join me....

http://www.dwyb.co.uk/index.html

Sorry for leaving it so long before replying. Busy couple of weeks.

How did the Red Bull event go? There was brief coverage of it on the news, it looked like a good day.

And cheers Steven, I remember going to the Wild and Wooly when I was a kid, in an ideal world i'd be there again this year but i've got to go and pick the in-laws up from the airport on Boxing Day.

Back