Winter Sun in the Lakes

Keltic Ice Man

Glossary King
Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
Today took me to Ullswater, so I thought I'd take my camera. This is the only one I like from loads of shots. Any thoughts on it? I kept the tree in really to show it was winter time, to give it a bit of a story - should it go? (would I use clone in photoshop?)

I've upped the levels a little in photoshop, but wasn't sure what else it needed? Does the bird stand out enough or is it lost in the scene?

rockbird29vy.jpg

It certainly has its perks working in Cumbria, just wish my photography skills were better.

Thanks

Allan

i really like this picture allan, although the trees on the far bank look a little surreal to me (on this monitor), i might be tempted to clone the bird/rock a little higher up the picture and delete some of the water, and keep the tree branch.
hey, what do i know, its a great picture though.

Thought I had already posted on this ?!? Age is a wonderful thing !

What I thought I said was ... what a lovely shot of a wonderful location KIM !

For me I would have lost one or the other and I agree with Stev about the expanse of water ! But I don't think either can really detract from such a gorgeous setting committed to photgraph.

Boon said:
trees on the far bank look a little surreal to me (on this monitor)

Hadn't noticed this but, if it's any consolation Stev they do on mine too !

Think I need glasses as didn't even notice any trees on the far bank :embarasse

I agree with Boon, but I would clone the tree branches out as I find them distracting. Great shot though :)

It's not always easy to capture the massive scale of those hills but I think you've done that well here. I'd clone out the branches, but just check that waterline, you're way off level. :)

Boon said:
might be tempted to clone the bird/rock a little higher up the picture and delete some of the water, and keep the tree branch.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll have a go at getting rid of the branch with clone, but I'm not sure how to even attempt cloning the rock and bird to higher up, will the ripples have to be cloned as well? Any help and thoughts greatfully accepted :)

Allan

Keltic Ice Man said:
Thanks for all the comments. I'll have a go at getting rid of the branch with clone, but I'm not sure how to even attempt cloning the rock and bird to higher up, will the ripples have to be cloned as well? Any help and thoughts greatfully accepted :)

Allan

A rather brutal way of moving the bird rock is to 'shrink' the water above it then move the bird upwards. It doesn't move the bird within the image but does reduce the foreground for the hills

A quick bodged example

.....would look better if I'd paid attention to the ripples :)

bird.jpg

mrgubby said:
A rather brutal way of moving the bird rock is to 'shrink' the water above it then move the bird upwards. It doesn't move the bird within the image but does reduce the foreground for the hills

Thanks for the comments.

Thought I'd have a go at removing the branch, and shrinking the water. Still not sure about the ripples. I sharpened it up a bit as well, Any thoughts?

vlastbirdonrock6of.jpg

Thanks

Allan

Nice shot. Has the making of great Mono shot also :-

rockbird29vy.jpg

mono rocks, a lovely shot to begin with though so dont that it wasnt!

Matty said:
mono rocks, a lovely shot to begin with though so dont that it wasnt!

Have you been sniffing developing fluid again :whistle2:

i might have missed the word 'think' out!

If you get a chance at a shot like this again the easy way of reducing the amount of water in the shot is to get yourself lower down i.e. crouch or lie down!

I would try an S curve on the curves to boost highlights and darken shadows.

SammyC said:
If you get a chance at a shot like this again the easy way of reducing the amount of water in the shot is to get yourself lower down i.e. crouch or lie down!

I would try an S curve on the curves to boost highlights and darken shadows.

Thanks for the advice Sammy. I'll try that.

The S Curve is that on the water or the sky or all the pic?

Thanks

Allan

Keltic Ice Man said:
I love the mono shot:thumb: . I had a try at that but I lost all the detail. Do tell how did you do it?

Allan

Oops , missed this post .....

From memory :-

- Converted to B&W via channel mixer with red at 100%
- Levels - Pulled in the left & right markers to edge of histogram, then moved centre slider until looked correct.
- Shadow/Highlight - minimal play with sliders to judge effect
- Smart sharpen

CS2 has a "Smart Sharpen" option.....othertimes I use the "Un Sharp Mask".

Back