wiping hard drive

Edit My Images
Yes
hi
i have a dell laptop, i would love to wipe the hard drive and start again, what do i need to do it, and is it easy.:thinking:

if you got the 'restore' disk with it you could use that, or if you have a copy of XP with it just reinstall that?

hmm, looked for disc's that came with it, cant find em.

You could always clear your room of everything.
Produce some blood sweat and tears while laying some nice new flooring, building some new drawers and a shiney new desk.
Move everything back in, and hey presto, your HD will be wiped....

Well thats how I just did it anyway :shrug: :LOL:

(Failing that, mattys response is better :) )

Reinstalling Windows XP is easy. The only stumbling block, is that you need to go into BIOS and set your first boot device to CD.

When you've done that, insert your WindowsXP CD and restart your PC. It will say "Press any key to boot from CD".

After that, just follow the on-screen instructions for removing/creating partitions, formatting the drive, and installing Windows itself. Its very easy.

A small note of caution, however - part way through the installation, your PC will restart again. Do *not* boot from CD at this point!! You already did that earlier, and doing so will cause the installation process to start over.

On my Dell (Inspiron 1300) if you press <CTRL> and <F11> when the blue bar appears after switching on you can restore OS and any supplied software to it original state ie as it left the factory.

namllihs said:
On my Dell (Inspiron 1300) if you press <CTRL> and <F11> when the blue bar appears after switching on you can restore OS and any supplied software to it original state ie as it left the factory.

I'd say you have a restoration partition on your disk drive then. Handy!

just found some disc's , although there is no reinstall disc, there is a windows xphome disc and a couple of reinstall software/device drivers etc disc's.

yup, the windows xp home disc is the one you want to boot from. Follow Gfk's instructions above.

Do you have another computer to access the internet while you're wiping this hard disk? Just in case it goes wrong and you need to get some help online.

If you just re-install you won't lose anything that's on your hard drive, just the links to it all. Your photos etc will still be there but you'll have to re-install all your programs so make sure!!! you have all the neccessary program discs, serial numbers, drivers etc. to make it all work again afterwards.

Before you do anything though, backup backup backup. I can't stress it strongly enough.

Steep said:
If you just re-install
I would STRONGLY advise against doing this. There's a high chance that the problem thats causing you to reinstall in the first place will still exist.

The absolute best option is to format (NOT quickformat!), and full reinstall. So, make sure you backup anything important first, cos you will lose the lot otherwise.

I'd also recommend that you download and keep WindowsXP Service Pack 2 (about 270mb). It'll save you having to download it every time you reinstall, plus 40+ other updates totalling about 50mb.

It's about time we had a SP3 isn't it? Just to save time on the reinstall!

I second (or is it third?) GfK on the complete install option. You'll have a super wizzy system again if you take this path.

But don't forget to backup everything, and probably note down your internet settings if you have any! Nothing worse than trying to remember email settings when you only ever saw them once 2 years ago! :D

I'd also recommend partitioning the disk so you have a system drive for XP and apps, and a drive for your data. That way you can restore the system drive only and not have to worry about backing much up.

Once you have finished installing everything including software and then customising XP back to how you like it, take a Ghost image and keep it safe for future use. Then you can do a complete restore in minutes.

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost10

I see that this thread was started in dec last year. Did you manage to re-format Boon? If so, did it all go ok?

I've done it a few times now, but it never fails to scare me... I am terrible at organizing, so always panic that I have forgotten to back something up. :shake:

I once lost all my outlook emails in my inbox. Unlike a sane person, I hadn’t resaved the important ones or printed them off. I lost a year's worth of correspondence. That was a fun day for my wife :( the language coming out of the office would have made Shaun Ryder blush.

lumpster said:
I see that this thread was started in dec last year. Did you manage to re-format Boon? If so, did it all go ok?

I've done it a few times now, but it never fails to scare me... I am terrible at organizing, so always panic that I have forgotten to back something up. :shake:

I once lost all my outlook emails in my inbox. Unlike a sane person, I hadn’t resaved the important ones or printed them off. I lost a year's worth of correspondence. That was a fun day for my wife :( the language coming out of the office would have made Shaun Ryder blush.

That's an easy one

In Outlook go to File>Import & Export and select Export to a file from the list. From the next screen choose "Personal Folders File (pst)".

Choose the folders you wish to export (NB you would normally choose the entire Personal Folders unless you only wished to export the Inbox etc) and make sure you tick "include subfolders"

Change the default save directory to something you will remember - it will default to c:\documents and settings\<your username>\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\backup.pst so change this to c:\backup.pst for example. Leave the option to replace duplicates as default and then click finish to start the export.

From here you can set a password if you want and any encryption but you should probably just leave the defaults and continue.

Beware that any auto-complete addresses in Outlook will not be exported, only contacts you have created. To backup the autocomplete file do a search for *.nk2 and back that up as well.

It would also be wise to also do a search for *.wab and *.pab files to backup any other contacts you have floating about. Hope that helps for future restores!

lumpster said:
Um, this thread was started yesterday. December 05 is the date Boon joined us. ;)

lol.. i'll get me coat...again:exit:

thanks evilowl, will try that later

If you need to deliberately 'wipe' stuff off (and I'm not asking as to why you'd need to, but...), there are a couple of US Department of Defense (sic) - certified programmes that will do the job. Basically it just writes series of 1s and 2s all over the HD about 80 times thus covering up anything that was there. Very sophisticated software will still be able to retrieve data fragments, but if it's just being sold on or going to PC-World, it'll be more than adequate.
I think even the Lexar and Sandisk Pro cards come with something like this bundled in the package now.

.... or just leave it next to a big magnet for a few hours.

Try this if you want to clean a disk - Boot and Nuke

Allows you to create a bootable disk that you just start the machine from, confirm and it will scrub a drive to US DoD standards, will take along time though depending on the size of the disk as it makes mutliple passes.

Download

And a link to what it can do Linky

god i would so love to do this, but i am nervous about it, there is nothing wrong with the laptop, no real reason to wipe it, but i feel that a complete wipe would make it feel fresh and new, its not like sending stuff to the recycle bin and deleting it.
Not sure how to backup stuff, or what to backup.

ok, so if i open this xp home disc and run it, what will it do, will it wipe everything off and just leave me with a clean machine, or do i have to re format first, and if so, how.

Just boot from the CD dude, easy as you like. Formatting will be one of the options during setup.

But it sounds like you haven't backed up anything! Formatting the disk will permanently delete everything on it.

Back