Wire Wool on the Pier [2nd Image Added!]

Name
Callum
Edit My Images
Yes
From the same night as the Astra shots, we went out onto Erith Pier and did a few stood on the benches. Unfortunately every bench has a rather unsightly bin next to it. Good to stop litter, not for photos :(

Wire Wool On The Pier by Callum Sullivan, on Flickr

Lesson learned with this shot however; the wool was left at the base of the tripod, normally guarded by me. I walked away with this shot due to the amount of sparks flying at me, a spark hit the wool and nearly resulted in the death of the rest of it. Luckily it survived for a few more shots :D

C&C welcome, I'll be adding some more from the shoot into each thread in due course too :)

Another lesson to lean if you use accelerate to get it all started is not to leave it open and in range of the sparks whoops :exit:

As to the photo, in this instance it's just not working for me :shrug: it also needs some significant levelling :shrug:

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks Dave :)

Oooo big whoops there Matt lol. Appreciate the comments :) anything particular you feel doesn't quite do it for you or just a bit meh overall? Also by leveling do you mean straightness or levels adjustment?

Thanks Dave :)

Oooo big whoops there Matt lol. Appreciate the comments :) anything particular you feel doesn't quite do it for you or just a bit meh overall? Also by leveling do you mean straightness or levels adjustment?

It looks like it's leaning to the left to me :thinking: I think for me it's just the fact that the spin is taking up the entire scene :shrug:

Matt

It looks like it's leaning to the left to me :thinking: I think for me it's just the fact that the spin is taking up the entire scene :shrug:

Matt

I'm pretty sure that that's just because of the shape of the pier, but if it's giving that illusion then that's not good :( And thanks, had a feeling this wouldn't be everyones cup of tea, appreciate your comments :)

Hi Sully, I like the idea and the shot looks good, but I have to admit I don’t know how you do it, would you mind telling me?
Thanks Barry

I like the second one, although I'm confused what's happening. Time to sound stupid, is that a man swinging a firework around? :thinking:

No, it's not a fire work. It's wire wool spun round on a string/cable, it's easily ignited with a normal lighter or a 9v battery. The wool is usually held in a suitable cradle e.g. a kitchen whisk, well.. It's what I use. Hope this helps

Jepo

its also a long exposure - which is what gives it the firework effect

No, it's not a fire work. It's wire wool spun round on a string/cable, it's easily ignited with a normal lighter or a 9v battery. The wool is usually held in a suitable cradle e.g. a kitchen whisk, well.. It's what I use. Hope this helps

Jepo

its also a long exposure - which is what gives it the firework effect

Oh right, so thankfully it's not some mad man with a Catherine wheel or something :D

Josh - If you aren't doing anything next Thursday evening (5th) take a trip up to Leeds and have a go yourself - See this thread

I would however it would be a bit difficult for me. I'd have to get the train and then probably a bus or two. Plus I don't finish college until 5pm :(

I don't think I've seen over head spinning before but I like it.

Can't decide if I'd prefer all the sparks in the frame.

What I've always liked about these are the sparks bouncing of the floor (y)

Back