Wire wool spinning, first attempts and questions

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
The first attempt at spinning this cold evening.

Untitled by jpay01, on Flickr

Untitled by jpay01, on Flickr

I know the spins can be improved, but what do you think?
I used 4 x 0 wire wool so was really thin, it burnt very quickly, if i used slightly thicker grade wool would the burn time decrease?

Are there any techniques I can employ to remove me from the image?

Thanks,

I love that first one (y) it's not often that you see the wool spun like that (y) it's a little but of a shame about the telegraph pole :bang: something to watch out for next time, the second I love the edit to get that colour but I think you needed a little more room, in my experience the finer the grade of wire the quicker that it will burn (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

That first one is brilliant. Just a shame it's slightly out of focus when viewed larger. Would be amazing without that little bit of extra spark at the top.

Have you tried starting the exposure and then moving into frame?

Try to wear black, a hoody would be good.

I start my spins then get my son to take the picture so i dont get any start lines and i also try to not move my arm too much to try and keep the circle even.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I will them take on board and go again, been thinking of some cool locations so look forward to experimenting.

I wore a black coat and a black balaclava partly because it was freezing last night.

Any photoshop solutions?

I use a Whisk myself, I don't think my mother was too chuffed though ... Oops

A 9v battery will set the wool alight, but BEWARE, do not store the wool and battery in the same pocket like i did ...

Good Start,

i have been doing this awhile, and as long as you got the right equipment.

Wisk to hold wool in place whilst burning
Rope of high tensile wire to use as swing
Wool to burn
Ignition lighter or battery
camera....

it all takes practice and great tips above, keep swinging arm still to maintain perfect circles
wear dark clothing to minimise your shadow, if not clone out in PS.

I have found that doing this with better scenery helps, rather than just in a field find somewhere interesting, down a sewer pipe, in an old building, on top of something. Try other light photography techniques to add to effect.

Good look,

Practice makes near perfect (thats what photoshop is for)!!!

I love the shape of the spin in this one. Still a technique I've not yet tried myself. Has anyone tried a mechanical spin? i.e. using a motor to spin the rope?

Back