Wireless Flash Puzzle

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I wonder if any one might have any ideas about this.
I have the following set up
Fuji XT-1
Fuji XE-2
2-Nissin i40 Flash units
Neewer FM Wireless Transmitter with two receivers

and the following problem

If I connect the flash units to the hot shoe on either camera both units fire OK as do the supplied Fuji flash units and the XT-1 works fine in commander mode
If I connect the Flash and Wireless set up to the XT-1 and press the transmitter test button, red light on transmitter flashes bright red all works fine the flash fires , if I then take a photo the transmitter light is very dim and the flash does not fire.
If I do the same with the XE-2 everything works as it should.
In both cases the dip switch settings are the same on both transmitter and receiver
I have a new battery in the transmitter and fully charged Eneloops in both the receiver and the flash.
I wonder if the trigger voltage on the XT-1 is not high enough to operate the transmitter, while I can work round this by using the XE-2 it concerns me that if I buy a studio flash ( Lencarta )with the appropriate (Godox) wireless trigger it is not going to work on the XT-1.
Any thoughts or am in the market for a new camera ?

Thanks in advance

Chris

My guess is that the transmitter isn’t sitting properly in the hot shoe. It used to be a common problem with cheap transmitters, try putting the transmitter on backwards

I agree with Phil. Look to see if there's any excess/extraneous plastic stopping it from sitting in the hot shoe correctly.

I've had this happen twice with Neewer stuff. I got shot and bought Godox and haven't had a problem since.

It's possible that the use of Eneloops in the transmitter is causing an issue, as they have a nominal voltage of 1.2v rather than 1.5v for alkalines,
Some people say that always using alkalines in the trigger (which only has 2 batteries) improves reliability, while others report never having issues using enloops in triggers.
Godox certainly recommend using alkaline, but state this is so the battery charge indicator works correctly, rather than anything else.
If you've got a couple of fresh AA alkalines, it's an easy test to see if it makes a difference for you,

A very good point Jonathan, I never spotted that. I use Duracell Ultra. (y)

It's possible that the use of Eneloops in the transmitter is causing an issue, as they have a nominal voltage of 1.2v rather than 1.5v for alkalines,
Some people say that always using alkalines in the trigger (which only has 2 batteries) improves reliability, while others report never having issues using enloops in triggers.
Godox certainly recommend using alkaline, but state this is so the battery charge indicator works correctly, rather than anything else.
If you've got a couple of fresh AA alkalines, it's an easy test to see if it makes a difference for you,
The eneloops are in the flash
and the receiver,the transmitter takes a 12v duracell

I agree with Phil. Look to see if there's any excess/extraneous plastic stopping it from sitting in the hot shoe correctly.

I've had this happen twice with Neewer stuff. I got shot and bought Godox and haven't had a problem since.
I am coming round to the view that may be the best option particularly if I want to move up to studio flash.
I think a chat and a visit to Lencarta may be needed

Reactions: Sky
Do you have a link to the "Neewer" transmitter and receivers?
The reason I ask is that Neewer are not manufacturers, they simply re-brand other Chinese products and because of this it can be hard to guess at the actual product.

Having said that, I would guess that Phil's answer is likely to be right - bad contact. A bad contact can also occur with poor products if it is either under or over-tightened. And another possibility is that the transmitter and receiver are just too close together (a common problem when testing) - make sure that you test at a distance of at least 1 metre.

Do you have a link to the "Neewer" transmitter and receivers?
The reason I ask is that Neewer are not manufacturers, they simply re-brand other Chinese products and because of this it can be hard to guess at the actual product.

Having said that, I would guess that Phil's answer is likely to be right - bad contact. A bad contact can also occur with poor products if it is either under or over-tightened. And another possibility is that the transmitter and receiver are just too close together (a common problem when testing) - make sure that you test at a distance of at least 1 metre.
I think you are correct in that it is a bad contact but at least it works with one camera.
I am more concerned that the camera will work with a better system,after all you dont really get a lot for I think I paid £20 for it

Back