wireless remote shutter recommendations

Name
lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
im looking for a wireless remote stutter for my nikon d800,
iv had a little look around and seen one that seems to fit the bill and wondered of anyone had one,
or any other recommendations, the one iv seen is the nikon SMDV RFN-4s

thanks.

lee

I have the Phottix WXD-188 which is excellent with a huge operarting distance. I have the D800 and D810 and used it on both individually of course
I can recommend it and not expensive either. make sure you get one for Nikon. Uses 4x AAA batteries , 2 in each.

Half the price of the one your looking at

note
PHOTTIX PLATO 2.4 GHz WIRELESS & WIRED REMOTE SET.
ALLOWS CAMERA TO BE FIRED FROM UP TO 100 M AWAY.
COMPATIBLE WITH MOST - SLR CAMERAS -- CANON, NIKON, SONY, OLYMPUS.
FOR MORE SPECIFIC MODEL FIT, PLEASE ASK.

on my Nikon D800

UufZ9O2.jpg

the coiled lead also will go into the trigger so it can be used as a wired trigger release

Last edited:
its only been a day :) was waiting to see if there was any more recommendations,
my thoughts so far are that not that it really matters but i like the look of the one i originally looked at as it looks a bit tidier as no connecting cord,
but as looks dont really matter and i wont use it that often, i may go for one of the suggested ones for half the price,
thanks for all suggestions and comments(y)

lee

No follow up from OP. wonder what he went for
hi mate, can i just ask seen as you also have the d800, on the timer is it only a 10 second timer as i cant find any settings to change it, normally there 2, 5 and 10 seconds.
thanks,

lee

I would be a little bit careful with the 10-pin connector on the D800, especially perhaps with third party connectors, since quite a few people seem to have experienced this issue:

I would be a little bit careful with the 10-pin connector on the D800, especially perhaps with third party connectors, since quite a few people seem to have experienced this issue:

never had any such problems all the years with the 10 pin connections. My guess is user error trying to force it in instead of making sure it is located properly first

Last edited:

i will keep an eye on this thanks.
although i am always careful with things like that in making sure im in the right place before i shove it in:lock:

another little tip
get one of these ( pictuire shows old version)

second item down at £45.99

also cheap enough but the master unit has a through connection to the remote on the remote flash gun.

So in actual fact as in the video below if you watch carefully. I pressed the wireless remote and that in turn triggered the camera and the wireless flashgun.
you could even put another flashgujn on top of the command module and leave tghe wireess shutter triggerf to hang down

So in the video we have the Nikon D800
mounted on top the Pixel King master flash wireless trigger
above that is the Phottix trigger receiver to work the camera shutter

in my hand is the Phottix wireless transmitter

then the remote Pixel king receiver on a stand
above is the Nikon SB 900 speedlight

And this will work ujp to 100 mtres away

in my garden this setup on tripods

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR-fNDF87nU

Last edited:
never had any such problems all the years with the 10 pin connections. My guess is user error trying to force it in instead of making sure it is located properly first
Nikon has been using the 10-pin connector for over 25 years, from the F90 to the D6, but if you google 'nikon 10 pin connector broken', all the hits are to the D800 or D800E. My guess is that this isn't a coincidence, suggesting either a design flaw (which they may or may not have fixed in later production) or a QC issue.

Last edited:
looked mine up and I bought it new in May 2013 and no problems nor with the D300 which I still use or my go to D810. never had a problem. The D800 of mine has a serial number of starting with 610****, so might have been made just before the problem date started in your link

Last edited:
just a quick update if anyone is interested, i opted for the one i originally mentioned as there were no connecting cables, think it was £60, used it a few times now and its spot on,
cheers,

lee

Back