Wireless Router Advice Needed

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Broadband was playing up today, I thought it was the router so went and got one from Tesco as was easy and convenient.

Typically I get home and all ok, so planning on taking it back tomorrow for a refund - or should I?

My current router is a 'G', this one is an 'N'. According to the box its quicker. I run my imac and macbook wirelessly off the router. Have around 1.5mb broadband. Would this new one make it any quicker?

I also transfer files between computers, again would it make much difference and if so how much? Twice as quick? Any benefits in keeping the new one?

You will also need a "N" compatible macbook to benefit from it.

i have the G router, on a 2mb line, with 1 pc, 1 laptop & 2 netbooks..all wireless.
the G, is ample for what we use'

Agree with above, everything would need to be N enabled\upgraded to feel the benifit. I have 10mb BB on G setup, works fine no problems.

So probably no real benefit to me? Have basic aluminium MacBook 6 months old and 2.5 Year old iMac. Not sure if N or not.

Does anyone know if there is there any difference in RANGE between G & N?

B = 11mb
G = 54mb
N = 300mb

These are the speed ratings for each technology. Don't expect to get anywhere near them though, about 20% would be average. You would need to be using the technology at each end as well, router + laptop. If you find that if the N signal is too low- it will drop down to using G. Is it worth the money? Not really- go have a look at power-line adapters :)

Back