Wireless Router Internet Problems

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm really hoping someone can help me out here. I have two options, ideally I would prefer the 2nd one so skip to that one if you want:

Option 1:
I have received a wireless router from a friend (Belkin model number: F5D7634 - 4) and after lots of faffing about have managed to get it set up, both the ADSL light and the internet light is on. Problem is I still can't connect to the internet (wired and wireless, I am with BT Internet is that helps) and on the config screen in the top right it confirms that there is no internet connection despite the lights telling me different. I know all the cables are fine and I know the connection is spot on.

I think the problem may be that I am putting the ADSL cable straight from the wall into the router, but as it is called a modem router I thought it would act as the modem. I would normally go from the wall to a modem and then the router but the ethernet cable from the modem doesn't fit into the ADSL port on the router. Hopefully some of that made sense and someone could help me but I highly doubt it.

Option 2:
I have received a wireless router from a friend (Belkin model number: F5D7634 - 4). The problem is, the ethernet cable from my modem does not fit into the ADSL port on the router. The only ports it will fit into are the wired ports for wired connections to it. Would it be possible to get the internet from the modem, feed it into one of the wired ports and out through the antenna? I know this kinda sounds like I'm assuming the internet can be passed around but I hope you get my drift, I think it's called bridging but I have no idea.

Or is the solution to all my problems to get an ethernet to ADSL cable if such a thing exists, so I can connect the modem to the router?

I know most of the above probably made no sense but I would really appreciate some advice, I am actually quite good with computers but when it comes to networks I give up. Thanks in advance.

ethernet and "ADSL cables" are 2 completely different things.. you should have a telephone cable that will run from the microfilter in the telephone socket to the adsl port on the router.

normally routers replace modems, negating the need for 2 boxes. this router is the same, it will act as your modem.

you will need your ASDL logon details from your ISP to enter into the replacement router though.

you need your user name and password from your ISP like said previously

Thanks for the replies everyone, I can access the settings without the username and password but there must be somewhere I havn't put these in so I will have a check through. Thanks very much for the manual also, as the router was given to us by my girlfriends sister we didn't get the manual as I think it is lost somewhere.

Back