With or Without?

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
No
Can't decide whether I prefer this image with or without the man in the background. Neither images have been cloned/doctored, they are two separate images. A guy walked into the frame in the first image and as he walked behind the boat he was out of sight so I shot another.

BEMBRIDGE-BOAT-MAN-S by Vintage Photography, on Flickr

BEMBRIDGE-BOAT-S by Vintage Photography, on Flickr

I think without too as he doesn't seem to add anything.

I think I'd also clone out that black blob in the second shot, on the walkway / sea edge.

The second shot is good. Well done :D

With, the man adds life, purpose and depth. Is he coming to his boat ?
If the railings 'interfered' with him I would remove.

With. And I think it's a woman btw.

The boat, floats, chains etc are colourful and beautifully focused. Life going on in the definitely OOF BG is a bonus.

And yes, it's rather nice he/she fits between the railings like that.

With. And I think it's a woman btw.

The boat, floats, chains etc are colourful and beautifully focused. Life going on in the definitely OOF BG is a bonus.

And yes, it's rather nice he/she fits between the railings like that.

Interesting, thank you. It was definitely a man as I saw him walk out the other side. Yes, am pleased the focus was right as this was done all MF with a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 ASPH VIII. It's a lovely lens on the Z FC with a perfect balance and is a real joy to use.

Last edited:
Interesting, thank you. It was definitely a man as I saw him walk out the other side. Yes, am pleased the focus was right as this was done all MF with a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 ASPH VIII. It's a lovely lens on the Z FC with a perfect balance and is a real joy to use.
Moobs ?

Without, much as the guy is well framed within the railings, he is imo effectively an unwanted ´’ attachment ´ to the bouy as he looks like he’s actually joined to it .

Besides , like @Plain Nev , I generally dislike people in my photographs unless of course they are the actual subject matter ( portrait) .

Without, because the eye goes to it and detracts from an otherwise good shot....as per the second one.

Back