Womens Football

Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know are the national newspapers interested in womens football?Does it have a licensing system like the datco setup?

It doesnt have a licence system.. in fact dataco dont even recognise it as football..

I presume your thinking current national games? World cup pics you might get in national papers...england players local papers might use them as well... its a massive gamble though.. lots of agencies will be at world cup games and little usage...

If you mean the national game, then no - unless you happen to photograph a headbutt.

When big agencies like ***** supply all womens footy pics to all media for free* it kinda kills it for everyone else :(

* some sort of deal with fa .... THERE! save the same people crying about my comments again :)

Do ***** still do this BTW?

I contacted the FA and they were asking me which matches I wanted to attened "Is it just games for Wemberly" I might say yes.
It looks like there is not much coverage at all and attendances are in the three figures.I thought womens footie had got more popular of late!
It looks like national would be struggle accept for local newspapers which would mean away games only.
I wonder if they feed you if I get to go.:LOL:

In Women's game (if we talk about the FA WSL, both 1 and 2) - the FA WSL does have a deal with Getty to cover all the games.
These images are then available to the clubs and media to use - of course the FA WSL (or FA.. don't know for sure) does pay Getty a fee per year to cover the games.
It is the Clubs really themselves who tend to decide who comes into photograph... some clubs are tighter than others.
Personally I've covered the Women's top level domestic league (and lower down the leagues) for over 7 years now as a Club photographer for one of the clubs.. I make enough to make it worth my time (but can count with one hand how many local/national papers have bought images... the times I've been asked for images has been greater, but none are willing to pay for them).

From International games - I am selling a LOT of Women's football pictures from National teams games to newspapers, websites, etc. But those games are not played in England (or by the English National team) - around the world I've seen the interest in Women's Football grow my huge leaps in the past years. And it is decent money earner at the moment for me.
As everything in photography, once you create contacts and people know you - your sales process becomes a whole lot easier.

For the England Women's team - the amount of photographer at their games has grown over the last two years a lot. It used to be really easy to get in as a photographer, these days the FA have a bit tighter criteria to allow photographers in (which of course is always the case when something gets popular).

One thing is for sure - you get much better action pictures from the Women's game than you do from the Men's top flight!!! Only downside is that the background won't be quite as spectacular as a full stadium (unless you get a nice sunset at the background - in which case I think it is better than a full stadium).

11 years doing womens footy here www.kipax.com/womens .. have had to change my approach due to getty supplying media for no charge :( I do make money from womens/girls football but in the same way I do with mens.. go to games where your the only photogrpaher... academy or county games the best then of course cup finals :)

My stint covering women's footy will go further back... but the first years would be back in Finland [emoji12] Where I sold lots to local and national media (from women's games)

Are there any reporters from the national newspapers at these events? I cannot remember even seeing womens football photos in the nationals.Do you still get fed like at mens pro footie if you do the togging?:LOL:

No food at the Women's games.. apart from England games (or Wales, or the games on the Continent from my experience).
Local BBC tends to be at most games, 5Live covers some games, local papers SOMETIMES send reporters to games...
I am sure this year there will be reporters from all the nationals and TV stations well represented at the FA Cup Final in August.. but that's because it's at Wembley.
Funny how the attendance from various press increases when the venue is Wembley, O2... there must be some pull at those venues for members of media ;-)

Is this Getty having a deal with the league thing going to get more common then? Not to go off topic, but over here in Aus, Getty have a photo deal on the A League. I have covered games for the club themselves occasionally, but there is literally no opportunity to get accreditation or even if there was to sell anything.

Back