woodpigeon: 2nd attempt with new 7D

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Well took on board the welcome C&C from yesterday and tried to improve the sharpness and focus of my shots, little bit more light today but still not great, anyway more C&C would be helpfull :help:

c2e4b2d6.jpg

e90afdfe.jpg

43408644.jpg

b464da9c.jpg

Last edited:
This is my new 100 -400 canon, as both lens and 7D are new its a steep learning curve, but lots of fun

Nothing wrong with these & if it was a truly wild Woodpigeon you did very well. They can be very flighty things.

Nice set of headshots (y)
why do they have those funny eyes - look like they have run at the bottom :thinking:

Nothing wrong with these & if it was a truly wild Woodpigeon you did very well. They can be very flighty things.

Never met a tame one yet and i know because i shoot them as part of pest control on the farm..:shrug:

However this greedy chap came down on the bird table in the garden, which is a pain because they hoover up everything, as far as being flighty, they are very easy to entice into the garden and are a pain because they scare off the song birds.

so easy I found two today, no room for a sparrow on there...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

e473ca90.jpg

Last edited:
Great detail on the bird, but man that background is noisy - did you have to push these much?

Nice and sharp and you got them well separated from the background, glad you shot these with your 7D / 100-400 and nothing else ;-)

Jamie

I agree that is bad noise in the second, not sure why that one is so bad?, hadnt noticed it when I processed them, This forum has taught me a lot in a very short space of time, thank you(y)

Some good first shots david. I would hardly say that #2 was suffering with noise due to the camera settings though. My guess is that it was underexposed slightly and by making adjustments in PP you have created this effect. Take #3 for example, looks good to me, but see what happens to the background when you start adjusting levels and curves in PP. Either selecting the subject and applying your changes seperately or using layer masks will avoid this in future.

pigeon-1.jpg

You don't get much sharper than that- not much wrong there. The fat overly tame wlid pigeons which frequent gardens bear little in common with the rural wild ones you see in large flocks devasting fields of crops. As Sawmen said you'd do well to get that close to one of them - truly wary birds.

Some good first shots david. I would hardly say that #2 was suffering with noise due to the camera settings though. My guess is that it was underexposed slightly and by making adjustments in PP you have created this effect. Take #3 for example, looks good to me, but see what happens to the background when you start adjusting levels and curves in PP. Either selecting the subject and applying your changes seperately or using layer masks will avoid this in future.

pigeon-1.jpg

Thanks for that, appreciate the information, I am sure you are correct and it was me in PP that caused the pixelation in two.

You don't get much sharper than that- not much wrong there. The fat overly tame wlid pigeons which frequent gardens bear little in common with the rural wild ones you see in large flocks devasting fields of crops. As Sawmen said you'd do well to get that close to one of them - truly wary birds.

Interesting you say that, and I agree they are wary, but when carrying out pest control on the farm, (sorry if that offends anybody but its something that has to be done) if we are in a hide using decoys we can get them to land 5 to 10 feet infront of us and start feeding, so if I was to use the camera instead of the shotgun to shoot them I would get as close, guess its all about field craft,

I agree though if you just stand in a field they will not come within a mile of you,

Back