Woodsy buys a box of big paper

Taking your cue from Ansel Adams then - he also used his sleeping bag when out in Yosemite for loading darkslides.

Last edited:
Where'd you get that darkbag @Woodsy? I have a tent one for my 8x10 film but it's a faff setting it up when I'm travelling, that king sized duvet looking thing would be perfect.

Where'd you get that darkbag @Woodsy? I have a tent one for my 8x10 film but it's a faff setting it up when I'm travelling, that king sized duvet looking thing would be perfect.

I got it from amazon - well, marketplace really - in the link below. It's plastic, just so you know. I opened it up when I got it and held just a single layer up to my eye and looked directly at the sun and couldn't see a thing. I'm therefore confident the material is ok. I've not checked the corners or arm seals yet, but I have no reason to think they are not absolutely fine. :)

Amazon

Last edited:
I got it from amazon - well, marketplace really - in the link below. It's plastic, just so you know. I opened it up when I got it and held just a single layer up to my eye and looked directly at the sun and couldnt see a think. I'm therefore confident the material is ok. I've not checked the corners or arm seals yet, but I have no reason to think they are not absolutely fine. :)

Amazon

Perfect, thanks for that!

More progress!

We took delivery yesterday of our wood thicknesser (after a huge cock up with the first attempt - got sent someone else's return by mistake), so I can now get started on fabricating some of the wooden parts for the camera. We wanted a thicknesser for other projects as well, but this at least means I can get all the pieces machined to a uniform thickness before shaping further.

We're mid-setup of a workshop, so I plan on uploading some photos of this progress too as things happen. This weekend will be spent first building a work bench from some cheap ply and some offcuts that we had from years ago when we made a simple table for when we were living in rented accommodation. As soon as that's done, set the thicknesser up and get going!

Secondly, this turned up from Fractory yesterday as well :D

IMG_3735.jpg

This is the U-shaped piece of aluminium for the rear standard. Fractory had a bit of an error, in that I uploaded a file containing the 45 degree edges on the main front and rear faces, and it passed their quality checks. I then get an email saying that chamfers are not included in the quoted price and that they wanted double the quoted price in total to include these. Not impressed with that, but went ahead with the piece anyway without the 45 degree faces. I'll machine these myself as soon as I find someone with a milling machine. Either way, it's a big beasty, as you can see from the keyboard for scale. Thankfully, being aluminium, it's quite light, and pretty sturdy even before the wood components are fixed between the uprights. Overall, pretty happy!

Sounds like some good progress, shame about the chamfers but I’m sure you can work around that for the time being.

The planer thicknesser sounds like a useful additional to the workshop too [emoji1303]

Are you bonding the wooden parts to the aluminium uframe or drilling it for screws?

Thanks chap!

I'll be drilling it for screws. primarily because the wooden parts need to be able to move over the metal parts. So with this part specifically, there will be a central bolt that will screw into a metal piece that will be glued and screwed to the wooden frame sitting in the middle. The rear tilt will then also be done via a bolt captive in the same metal part that's attached to the wood, but free to move inside the curved tracks you can see at the top of the U frame.

The front standard will be all wood in the first instance. I recon I can get away with this, as the front standard won't shift, only swing, tilt and rise, so I can afford to mount it to the bed much more securely. I'm trying to avoid metal where it's reasonable to do so, but equally, this is a very steep learning curve, so we shall see what revisions get made as the build progresses :D

Back