Wooooop! [*** NOW WITH IMAGES ***]

Name
Bryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone

Juts been shopping this morning for:

3 x Fuji Neopan 400CN (Colour C41 Process)
1 x Power-Stations Photo Lithium Battery - 2CR5
2 x Ilford HP5+ 400 - 135-36 Black & White Print Film

All to run in my Yashica 230AF 35mm :D

Busy couple of weeks shooting ahead me hopes :D
Any particular things I need to look out for with these films?

Last edited:
HP5+ is very forgiving indeed. The grain can be a little large but it copes quite well with over and under exposure. It gives nice tones and contrast and good sharpness too. Are you going to develop yourself?

Probably not dev' my self, although it might be worth me hassling TBY (TheBigYin) for some advice... im sure he kept saying he was going to hurt me if i didn't finally sort my photography out :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited:
Its not difficult and if you plan to shot a lot of B&W then it quickly works out cheaper than sending it off. B&W development in a lab tends to be bloody expensive!

Aye - Price definitely does attract to home processing, my only main hang ups really are:

1) - Lack of room, I know it can be done with minimum of space but minimum is still a bit when you have 2 kids running around as well :LOL:

2) - Confidence - Nothing more worries me than shooting a cool roll of film only to mess it up when I dev it!

Bry

Is there a particular reason why you got two black and white films, but one is meant to be developed in colour chemistry (the CN) and the other in B&W chemistry (HP5+)?

Get involved with the home developing, it opens up a whole other realm of creative possibilities :) And it's actually quite enjoyable as well as satisfying.

Good call on HP5, though I can't comment on the 400CN as I've never shot a C41 b&w film.

Simply as I haven't used (that I remember) either of these films before so change is as good as the rest. :)

Bry

Get involved with the home developing, it opens up a whole other realm of creative possibilities :) And it's actually quite enjoyable as well as satisfying.

Good call on HP5, though I can't comment on the 400CN as I've never shot a C41 b&w film.

Oh I have no doubt in my mind that if the results come through, the satisfaction of developing your own films must be truly immense. Fear/money/children/ seems to be holding me back... paaaah im a wuss :(

Bry

I do my processing in the kitchen. I load the films in a lightproof bag and then clear a section of kitchen surface to do the processing. It's probably about a metre length of work surface and it's very simple indeed!

As with Jim, pretty much the same - it can all take place on a single sink and drainer... and the kit and chemicals to process B&W (3 types of dev) C41 and E6 will fit into one of those plastic storage tubs they sell at b&q - the 14"x19"x12" jobs, so it doesn't take up that much room...

Ok Ok you win :LOL::LOL:

With christmas around the corner, perhaps its time to drop hints to the other half/family for some dev gear :LOL:

Ok, half way through shooting the Neopan 400CN and I'm loving it :)

Bry

Almost finished shooting this roll and i had some kind of "revelation" today which has really encouraged me to continue photography :)

I've always lacked "drive" to get on with my photos, plenty of ideas but no actual commitment to getting it done. (Just ask TBY, he keeps reminding me to get on with it :p :LOL:)
But on the way to work I saw a nice scene, like most mornings but instead of just riding past thinking that would be nice, i actually bothered to stop, jump off the motorbike and start snapping away.

The feeling I got afterwards was amazing... I know it sounds stupid but thought I would share :)

Bry

Almost finished shooting this roll and i had some kind of "revelation" today which has really encouraged me to continue photography :)

I've always lacked "drive" to get on with my photos, plenty of ideas but no actual commitment to getting it done. (Just ask TBY, he keeps reminding me to get on with it :p :LOL:)
But on the way to work I saw a nice scene, like most mornings but instead of just riding past thinking that would be nice, i actually bothered to stop, jump off the motorbike and start snapping away.

The feeling I got afterwards was amazing... I know it sounds stupid but thought I would share :)

Bry

Cycling is great esp on the public footpaths (erm don't tell anyone) for photographic opportunities.
czj28mm2800px.jpg

Unfortunately my motorbike won't appreciate that track :LOL::LOL:

Like I say, it seems sad I know but to finally make an effort and take some photos instead of just letting the opportunity go past (again) was real nice :)

Bry

Btw Brian (excalibur2) - Thats a cool shot :)

Btw Brian (excalibur2) - Thats a cool shot :)

Thanks.... the lens used was a CZJ 28mm f2.8 MC and it's a nice lens, not very long ago you could pick this lens up cheap in Praktica bayonet.

Here you go :)

Portrait1.jpg

Landscape4.jpg

Landscape6.jpg

Landscape7.jpg

Bry

Nice shots! Did you develop them yourself after? Once you've home-developed your first roll there'll be no stopping you!

I take it that the "morning mist" shots were the ones that got you off the Bike Bryan ??

First one's a decent "Environmental Portrait" - you can certainly see the concentration going into the ink-work.

Second one, I like the feeling of depth given by keeping the cross in focus and letting the church drop away into a gentle blur. Personally, I'd have been tempted to change the angle slightly, so that the cross was backed up by the masonry of the church, rather than cutting into the window. Also, and this is just my pet prejudice, but it looks like everything is leaning backwards a little, though that should be correctable in PP.

Third one, the shot for me needs to be a little closer to the field with the animal in, placing the centre of the beast on the lower left third. As it is, there's just a little too much "clutter" for my taste.

Fourth one either needs more of the tree on the extreme RHS of frame, or none of it. As it stands, there's jsut a couple of distracting black blobs at edge of frame.

It was definitely worth stopping the bike for though (y)

Nice shots! Did you develop them yourself after? Once you've home-developed your first roll there'll be no stopping you!

No - Used jessops print service again. Never can really fault the speed and quality of the work. That said all this talk has even convinced my missus that I need to start doing home dev :LOL:

I take it that the "morning mist" shots were the ones that got you off the Bike Bryan ??

Hey! Yes seeing the fields like that made me pull over! :)

First one's a decent "Environmental Portrait" - you can certainly see the concentration going into the ink-work.

Aye - 'Tis the boss hard at work!

Second one, I like the feeling of depth given by keeping the cross in focus and letting the church drop away into a gentle blur. Personally, I'd have been tempted to change the angle slightly, so that the cross was backed up by the masonry of the church, rather than cutting into the window. Also, and this is just my pet prejudice, but it looks like everything is leaning backwards a little, though that should be correctable in PP.

One thing I definitely take from this comment is it "leaning back" a little. Its something almost ALL my landscapes suffer from be it leaning back or wonky horizons... Perhaps its time for me to invest in a hotshoe spirit level :LOL:

Third one, the shot for me needs to be a little closer to the field with the animal in, placing the centre of the beast on the lower left third. As it is, there's just a little too much "clutter" for my taste.

Point taken and I tend to agree :)

Fourth one either needs more of the tree on the extreme RHS of frame, or none of it. As it stands, there's jsut a couple of distracting black blobs at edge of frame.

It was definitely worth stopping the bike for though (y)

I tend to think looking at it now that I should have got rid of those trees...

Cheers for all the feedback TBY :)

Back