Review Woopy doopy doo

There's no substitute for Eclipse and Pec pads.

Well, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you......

..... I used one of these to get rid of the C**P Pecpads and Eclipse left behind!

(And I was very sceptical of all the web reports on them)

Was that the black thingy with the felt pad at one end, and the brush at the other?

I bought one of those just before a wedding to try and salvage my dirt riddled Fuji S2. I would have got a wetclean kit but with the wedding that afternoon, the only camera store being a rubbish small Jessops and my poverty stricken state, it was the only option.

To be honest, after a good rocket blow, then using the felt swab end carefully, it worked a treat. Compared to my mate using his Pec Pads on it a few months earlier, which left a c&#p load of swipe marks over it that I had to get off with a soft cloth and pair of tweezers.

Hasn't affected the image quality one jot either, at least no-one commented on anything adverse on the wedding pics.

Yes indeed and you can all gloat lol :p Well I have cleaned a few sensors in my Canon days, less so with the Oly, though what does gets stuck to the Oly gets really stuck, and apparently it has a tin oxide coating that needs special Eclipse fluid ... anyway I know what I'm doing, and a 1p cotton bud is a better bet than a lens pen. I particularly don't like the fact you can't clean them - so if you get oil (or whatever lubricant is used in the mirror etc) on them, you just end up smearing it all over the sensor. Bah humbug :shrug:

I've read theres a definite technique to using them and getting good results.

Arthur Morris (birds as art) is supposed to be a master with them and can get a sensor clean in seconds

Just found my sensorklear i ordered a while ago and had a go on my old 350D

Before...
before.jpg

After...
after.jpg

Both images with 2 goes on paintshop's auto levels equivalent and then the same extreme S-curve applied. Shot at f22

Not bad for my first ever go i think. Maybe it can't handle masses and masses of dirt? I'd definitely clean mine before it got to the state it was in again though

Mine wasn't that dirty - at least it wasn't before I used the pen.

Last edited:
Well, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you......

..... I used one of these to get rid of the C**P Pecpads and Eclipse left behind!

(And I was very sceptical of all the web reports on them)

You probably used the wrong fluid for your sensor.

Thanks steep...... but I didn't think there was a need for anything different in the Nikon world. :shrug: Maybe it was 'older' stock that I had.

Certainly, I had no problems at all with the SensorClear pen.

Well obviously they have there fans, but as Robert P pointed out I'm not the first to write a bad review and I have a feeling I won't be the last. Even if you manage to get your sensor clean with them once, remember the next time you use the pen it will be dirty.

I ordered (and got next day- bloody good service from http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/) some Eclipse E2 and Pecpads and I'll be sticking with them for now :)

Well obviously they have there fans, but as Robert P pointed out I'm not the first to write a bad review and I have a feeling I won't be the last. Even if you manage to get your sensor clean with them once, remember the next time you use the pen it will be dirty.

I ordered (and got next day- bloody good service from http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/) some Eclipse E2 and Pecpads and I'll be sticking with them for now :)

Hiya :wave:
when you say that you've ordered Pec Pads, have you actually ordered pads or swabs?
I ask because I have some pads, and E2 fluid, but I'm advised NOT to try to make my own swabs, as they are not made from Pecs. Which I don't believe incidently.....

If I can figure out how to actually make the swabs from Pec Pads, then this would much cheaper than buying swabs!

Back to the sensorklear, I've got one, only used it a few times because now it does actually make the sensor dirtier.
It was great the first and second times, but now it's ruined.
I've tried twisting the cap, as recommended, but it just doesn't seem to 'drop' any crap it picks up.

A great idea, and a great tool for one, maybe two if you're lucky cleans, but it needs some 'tweaking'. That's my opinion......

Pec Pads are made for lens cleaning etc. Sensors are more easily damaged than lenses by cleaning so it seems reasonable that a company making a product for one purpose would not want any liability when it is used for a different purpose. Lots of people have successfully used pec pads for making sensor cleaning swabs and accept that the maker of pec pads will not want to know if a sensor was damaged (however unlikely it may be).

My sensor cleaning thread is here -

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9766

Now you come to mention it Robert, though I said pec pads, what I actually have are Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs which come in different sizes to match various sensors and in individual sealed poly bags, use once and throw away type things.

Pec Pads are made for lens cleaning etc. Sensors are more easily damaged than lenses by cleaning so it seems reasonable that a company making a product for one purpose would not want any liability when it is used for a different purpose. Lots of people have successfully used pec pads for making sensor cleaning swabs and accept that the maker of pec pads will not want to know if a sensor was damaged (however unlikely it may be).

My sensor cleaning thread is here -

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9766

And MY sensor cleaning thread is here lol ...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65389

Whats the best way to check for dirt on the sensor?

How did Werecow take those pictures?

Think a cleaning kit is a wise investment, and the Just kits look pretty good.

Whats the best way to check for dirt on the sensor?

How did Werecow take those pictures?

Think a cleaning kit is a wise investment, and the Just kits look pretty good.

You don't need a kit unless you just love throwing money away - both Robert and myself have posted guides on cleaning sensors.

The best way to check is use a wide lens and stop down to f22 or below if you can, and take a picture of a nice bright blue sky or white cloud. Any dust or other particles on the sensor will show up as dark spots.

I normally use an arctic butterfly of lens cleaning and in all but one occasion it has worked fine. The time it didn't (there were a few streaks left) I used the sesorklear to tidy things up. I certainly wouldn't want to used it as my way of cleaning the sensor as I don't like the amount of pressure you need to put on the sensor a brush is much more delicate...

I got one of these pens with £15 jessops vouchers. Was struggling for ages what to buy and this eemed like a good idea. Not used it yet mind, not sure whether to now either. Bah.

Back