Workflow – Noise Ninja

Name
Alison
Edit My Images
Yes
As Noise Ninja will only work on Jpegs, can someone tell me at what stage I should convert the RAW? I suspect it’s probably after all other PP has been done but was wondering in particular about sharpening.

I took some deliberately noisy test shots (ISO 3200 indoors with flash) to experiment on but nothing I’ve done has worked to good effect so I’m sure I must be going wrong somewhere!

Ideally you sharpen after noise reduction, have you tried the noise reduction in ACR?

NN also works on tif files.

Ideally you sharpen after noise reduction, have you tried the noise reduction in ACR?
I’m not familiar with ACR at all Wayne but will dip my toe in the water now you’ve suggested it. Thanks for taking the time to help me, your advice is always spot-on (y)

NN also works on tif files.

I can’t get Noise Ninja to work on TIFFs at all so I’ve been converting to 16 bit PSD in Lightroom then taking that file into CS3 for processing.

I’m not sure whether it makes any difference but I purchased Noise Ninja on disk (from G R Enterprise Services) rather than online. No naughty reason, it’s just that the computer I use for storing photos and which has my PP progs installed isn’t connected to the internet. I followed the installation instructions to the letter – I think! Maybe I went wrong somewhere along the line and therein lies the reason for TIFF refusal :shrug:

Input much appreciated Erding, cheers :)

Obviously converted from RAW to Jpeg and resized for the forum but no processing other than that on #1 - this is staight out of camera:

1a.jpg

#2 – RAW white balanced in Lightroom in an attempt to retain something of the warm golden glow which I thought suited the girl and also cropped in LR. Converted to Jpeg so I could run it through Noise Ninja in CS3 plus a bit of fiddling with the eyes. If I recall correctly, I think I changed this to lab colour and did a two-sharpen pass in the lightness channel. I doesn't look any sharper than the original to my eye :(

1b.jpg

I think that #1 looks the best in terms of noise (it’s so visible to me in #2, particularly the background adjacent to the subject’s right ear). Maybe I’m just asking too much of the camera and computer.

My “feel free to edit” button is switched on and I’d really welcome anyone else’s take on this. Just tell me what you did and in what order – it’s the workflow I’m struggling with. Happy to PM the original RAW straight out of camera if it helps.

p.s. I hasten to add that the “proper” shots I took with sensible settings turned out very nicely indeed – the ISO 3200 + hotshoe flash + slow shutter speed stuff really was just an experiment!

I am using Nik Dfine 2.0, it works on raw files and i find it better the NN.
:agree: Very subtle Noise reduction without the oversoftening of NN.

Just for info Alison, ACR = Adobe Camera Raw. If you open Photoshop it initially opens with ACR. (Or is that just my set up?)

Remember reading to use Noise Ninja before doing any other post processing like levels, unsharp mask etc, or thats what I do to my Jpeg files.

Have you downloaded your ISO profiles for your camera and installed them.

There are different versions of the software as to whether you want to handle 8bit or 16bit files, which version did you purchase.

Have a look at there online FAQ's and guides

Peter

I’m not familiar with ACR at all Wayne but will dip my toe in the water now you’ve suggested it. Thanks for taking the time to help me, your advice is always spot-on (y)

I can’t get Noise Ninja to work on TIFFs at all so I’ve been converting to 16 bit PSD in Lightroom then taking that file into CS3 for processing.

I’m not sure whether it makes any difference but I purchased Noise Ninja on disk (from G R Enterprise Services) rather than online. No naughty reason, it’s just that the computer I use for storing photos and which has my PP progs installed isn’t connected to the internet. I followed the installation instructions to the letter – I think! Maybe I went wrong somewhere along the line and therein lies the reason for TIFF refusal :shrug:

Input much appreciated Erding, cheers :)

Obviously converted from RAW to Jpeg and resized for the forum but no processing other than that on #1 - this is staight out of camera:

1a.jpg

#2 – RAW white balanced in Lightroom in an attempt to retain something of the warm golden glow which I thought suited the girl and also cropped in LR. Converted to Jpeg so I could run it through Noise Ninja in CS3 plus a bit of fiddling with the eyes. If I recall correctly, I think I changed this to lab colour and did a two-sharpen pass in the lightness channel. I doesn't look any sharper than the original to my eye :(

1b.jpg

I think that #1 looks the best in terms of noise (it’s so visible to me in #2, particularly the background adjacent to the subject’s right ear). Maybe I’m just asking too much of the camera and computer.

My “feel free to edit” button is switched on and I’d really welcome anyone else’s take on this. Just tell me what you did and in what order – it’s the workflow I’m struggling with. Happy to PM the original RAW straight out of camera if it helps.

p.s. I hasten to add that the “proper” shots I took with sensible settings turned out very nicely indeed – the ISO 3200 + hotshoe flash + slow shutter speed stuff really was just an experiment!

quite a bit of noise in the background..:cool:

Back