working with lightroom and photoshop

Name
Carlo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

been working on photos in lightroom 2 Raw 5.6 and photoshop CS3.

Have done my editing in Lightroom but wanted to move the files into photoshop to work on the white studio floor, but when i choose edit, then i am told they are not compatible versions due to the raw. I have updated RAW. is there anyway i can make a live edit in photoshop?

thanks

CS3 does not support the 5.6 camera raw; you do not say which camera you are using but this is a common issue with canon 7D, 5D Mk2 etc. The only way is up I'm afraid, CS4 or 5; unless there is someone knows different.

right click the picture in LR and choose edit in photoshop - it will then offer you a choice of formats - choose TIFF. When you save it in photoshop the edited TIFF will come back into LR.

Last edited:
Does lightroom not have a transfer option (I don't know, I just assumed it did).
My version of CS didn't support my camera, but what I did, was select the image I wanted in Digital Photo Professional (which is a Canon program that comes with the camera), and choose the transfer option (after any edits to saturation, contrast etc. that could be done as pre-tweaks).
I would be surprised if lightroom doesn't have a similar function to aid workflow.
Alternatively, I have read that there is an Adobe DNG converter program (look at the sticky notes in this forum), which can convert your RAW to a format that photoshop can open.

Lightroom needs to have the same image processing engine in Photoshop that it is using. CS3 will be one version behind the last version of Lightroom you have. You'd need CS4 for Lightroom 2.x. The idea is Photoshop does the image processing not Photoshop. It's supposed to save time

Your option is as Andrew suggests simply right click and chose the format you want. This forces Lightroom to do the image processing not Photoshop

ok problem has now changed.

i have had to reinstall software on mac, got light room running and catalogue imported and updated apart form last lot folders which had raw files that i was working on. These folders show the files as corrupt. taken a few test shots and trying to import raw files but not recognised,i have updated raw to 4.6 but no luck.

Any suggestions as to why i cant get my raw files to work, they are sony raw files but have had them working before.

thanks

Have you updated Lightroom to the last version of 2 which I think was .7. Just updating ACR doesn't update Lightroom

You should update LR from within LR.

Have now run the Lightroom update from within itself and up to date now and problems have been fixed.

Also the reason for not being able to transfer to Photoshop was that the Sony ARW files were not recognised so converted to dng within lightroom and can make the edits in photoshop no problem now.

Cheers

Back