Workman damaged property (and maybe faked the photos)

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
My dad had a vent installed in the bathroom the other week. The installer did what he needed to do and left.
When my dad went to check the sink had been cracked and then stuck together.
After about 2 weeks of complaining / waiting they sent through some photos of the damaged sink.
EXIF had been stripped (I need to double check when I get home but I can’t see it on my phone).
Each photo has been stamped with the the date/time and address - the date time suggests the sink was damaged before work commenced. My assumption is these stamps have been added after.
My dad ensures me it wasn’t damaged beforehand, I believe him.

Any ideas where we stand from a legal / consumer rights act perspective? Does their ‘evidence’ get them off the hook?

Does anyone want to take a look at the photos? I won’t post them here because they contain personal details but will forward them on. PM me your email address and I’ll forward them on

Any help from the TP hive mind is appreciated

Last edited:
Quick thoughts - is the date and time they put on possible (were they actually there when they took them - it would be a simple mistake to make, to put a time they weren't there).

I think you'd have to ask for originals. I'm not aware of a camera that will put an address on images, so they must have been altered. However, I think it is possible to adjust time/date on originals too...

Maybe ask for the originals of all the photos that they took when they were doing the job - it sounds like they were quite thorough...

How old does the glue used to stick it together look - weeks old? Brand new?

Quick thoughts - is the date and time they put on possible (were they actually there when they took them - it would be a simple mistake to make, to put a time they weren't there).

I think you'd have to ask for originals. I'm not aware of a camera that will put an address on images, so they must have been altered. However, I think it is possible to adjust time/date on originals too...

Maybe ask for the originals of all the photos that they took when they were doing the job - it sounds like they were quite thorough...

Yeah that’s a good shout, I can ask for all originals and I can challenge them by saying no camera will automatically stamp all the details that is shown on the photos they provided (it was date/time and full address!) so it must have been modified in some way.

I’ve no idea on the age of the glue, it’s not on the outside

If they anything over a three-five man company, It’s likely the photos were taken on their company iPad/tablet(or job management app on their phone) and uploaded directly to the job file, hence the time and address stamps.

What seems odd to me is them taking the images of the sink in the first place, unless they systematically take images of every room before they start to avoid claims???

It seems a bit odd that they had a picture of the damaged sink, you would have thought, they would have called your dad
and showed him the pre-damage or at least said did you know there is a crack in your sink.
Tell them that you are a photographer and want the originals to run through photoshop to see if its been edited ;)

edit too slow

Last edited:
As well all the advice above re: clarification about the supplied images and asking for copies of all the originals.

I would do a search about the company and see whether there are any similar reports?

Lastly, depending especially on the "apparent" pre existing damage where it was not brought to your dad's attention at the time and the questions about the voracity of the submitted images........it may be worth considering starting a Small Claims Court action. IIRC such a claim can be made for a fixed cost with no further costs should you lose the case.

Plus, get a quote for the repairs.

Best of luck getting a satisfactory resolution.

Back