Beginner Workshops, Courses, and Other Resources

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi-

Very happy to have found this forum.

Completely new to photography and video. I recently got a SONY A7iii, which is a tool way beyond my capabilities. But I am excited to immerse myself.

I would love to find some recommended courses on photography basics and perhaps a course specifically on the A7.

There were some many options when I googled my question, I was unsure where to even begin.

Any suggested programs?

Thanks!! Much appreciated.

Hi Matt, welcome

Right there are so many choices it can be overwhelming. My recommendation is to separate learning how to operate the camera from how to create the images you want. For operating the camera the manuals can be good, and there are lots of books and youtube videos. Similarly how to create the images you want you have lots of book choices e.g. The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman and endless youtube videos. In my experience, I progressed much faster with an in-person course, where you have the chance to interact, ask questions as you go, try things out and get feedback and tips. Once I had a good base of knowledge, the youtube videos etc continue to be useful for new inspiration and checking out very specific topics.

Hope this helps,

Tim

@TimHughes although not my question but in a similar situation, your advice is useful for me also so thank you

Possibly an unpopular opinion - youtube for the basics until you're confident shooting in aperture priority and try that for a while. Once you're happy with that and feel like you want to learn more then get into shooting manual, then you've got the choice over using aperture priority for convenience but know how to shoot manual for when you need to.

I think to get the images you want the editing will play a big part in that, plenty of good youtube tutorials on that. Some youtube channels I'd recommend for inspiration - Pierre Lambert & Roman Fox. Both entertaining and knowledgeable.

Back