World Superbike Friday free practice.

nilagin

Daniel-san
Suspended / Banned
Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Went down to Brands Hatch Friday morning before work. For a bit of panning practice. Semi successful on some, failed on most. Here's a few anyway.

WSB_Brands_Hatch_4_Aug_06_238.jpg

WSB_Brands_Hatch_4_Aug_06_441.jpg

WSB_Brands_Hatch_4_Aug_06_263.jpg

WSB_Brands_Hatch_4_Aug_06_158.jpg

WSB_Brands_Hatch_4_Aug_06_160.jpg

WSB_Brands_Hatch_4_Aug_06_166.jpg

WSB_Brands_Hatch_4_Aug_06_248.jpg

WSB_Brands_Hatch_4_Aug_06_164.jpg

More photos here

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/721821/

Neil

Don't look too bad to me :)

What shutter speeds were you using? There doesn't seem as much wheel blur as i'd expect on a panning shot on some of those.

RobertP said:
Don't look too bad to me :)

What shutter speeds were you using? There doesn't seem as much wheel blur as i'd expect on a panning shot on some of those.

It was a bit mixed really as my battery was low and the back up got used up quick too. Had to rely on my Nikon 5200 Coolpix and HP R817 for a lot of shots which have no real manual settings. I'd got carried away taking so many photos I hadn't realised the WSB's were on track and hadn't reverted back to my Panasonic DMC FZ5 for the last of the battery. I must admit I'd cheated alot of the time using the Auto Panning setting as the sun kept coming and going changing the light conditions.
I've added a further 20+ shots on the link.

Being fairly new to manual settings what do you recommend, I normally cheat by seeing what the auto setting is then try it on manual, but still don't always get clear sharp results with spinning wheels. At the moment I get a trade off one with out the other but very rarely both.:shrug:

settings need to be----in my very limited experience ;)

shutter speed <1/500th second
aperture to match.

Does the fz5 have the same 'panning' scene selection as the fz30 I had? if so, i'd probably use that as the movement of you panning can confuse the ois on the camera.

looking at those shots, there doesn't appear to be much wrong with your panning technique especially as they were probably moving considerably faster than my girlfriend was lol. It looks like loss of detail and sharpness down to over heavy noise reduction more than anything else, although some of them are sharpish.

If this is where your passions lie, it may be worth selling the panny and the other two cameras and getting a d50 and a 70-300 nikon lens, you could pick them up second hand for well under £400 notes for both of them, especially with a new nikon due any day soon as a lot of people will likely upgrade.

Sorry I can't be of more use than that but i hope it helps.

Cheers I'll get around to getting a DSLR one day but my two sons use the other cameras also. So I'll have to save up.

not bad at all, i like em, a good set to start you off, the panning is good too

Back