Worth the compromise?

Andrew Moore

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I currently have an XPro2 and a number of lenses however due to A, lens size and B, in cases lack of WR I find I don't use my camera as much as I would like and instead rely far too much on my Mate 20 Pro.

So... The current prime line up. (Let's ignore zooms as they have a purpose no prime can really replace)

56f1.2, 35f1.4, 23f1.4, 18f2.

Would it be possible worth looking to sell all the above and replace with the following?

50f2, 35f2, 23f2, 16f2.8

I'm thinking I should be able to get around £1250ish for those lenses I own and could probably swap out to the above WR selection to bring the bag up to date with faster focusing but "slower" lenses. I maybe even find I can save a few quid if I do it all in the second hand market (bar the 16mm as I know that's new).

Thoughts?

It may also be worth adding that I use f4-7.1 for the majority of what I shoot from what I can see.

Hi guys

I currently have an XPro2 and a number of lenses however due to A, lens size and B, in cases lack of WR I find I don't use my camera as much as I would like and instead rely far too much on my Mate 20 Pro.

So... The current prime line up. (Let's ignore zooms as they have a purpose no prime can really replace)

56f1.2, 35f1.4, 23f1.4, 18f2.

Would it be possible worth looking to sell all the above and replace with the following?

50f2, 35f2, 23f2, 16f2.8

I'm thinking I should be able to get around £1250ish for those lenses I own and could probably swap out to the above WR selection to bring the bag up to date with faster focusing but "slower" lenses. I maybe even find I can save a few quid if I do it all in the second hand market (bar the 16mm as I know that's new).

Thoughts?

It may also be worth adding that I use f4-7.1 for the majority of what I shoot from what I can see.

Really up to you, personally if you only shoot at f4-7.1 it would make sense. If you shoot at those apertures why not consider the 14mm f2.8 instead of the 16mm? Its a lot lighter and I would have thought at f4 IQ would be a lot difference, not sure about focus speed but do you need a fast focusing wide angle?

Well this is a shame.. other forums it is then

The F2 / f2.8 “cheaper” primes are also excellent, personally I’d miss the 23 f1.4 as I think that’s possibly the best lens I’ve used on any system but I can’t argue with your logic, the f2 lenses work really nicely with the X-Pro 2 as well.

Really up to you, personally if you only shoot at f4-7.1 it would make sense. If you shoot at those apertures why not consider the 14mm f2.8 instead of the 16mm? Its a lot lighter and I would have thought at f4 IQ would be a lot difference, not sure about focus speed but do you need a fast focusing wide angle?

It's the new 16mm f2.8 so is dinky compared to the 16f1.4. I wouldn't use the 14 as I have a 10-24mm for those off occasions but I do use 16mm a fair bit on my 16-55.

I think total saving weight would be near a kilo but it's the bulk saving and filter saving I'd benefit from the most.

The F2 / f2.8 “cheaper” primes are also excellent, personally I’d miss the 23 f1.4 as I think that’s possibly the best lens I’ve used on any system but I can’t argue with your logic, the f2 lenses work really nicely with the X-Pro 2 as well.

That was my thought. Logic is sound but logic and reality do from time to time run separate routes.

I may be able to get the glass I want without selling the 23f1.4 as it is my favourite bit of glass. I think hunting second hand values on all lines is in order here.

It's the new 16mm f2.8 so is dinky compared to the 16f1.4. I wouldn't use the 14 as I have a 10-24mm for those off occasions but I do use 16mm a fair bit on my 16-55.

I think total saving weight would be near a kilo but it's the bulk saving and filter saving I'd benefit from the most.

That was my thought. Logic is sound but logic and reality do from time to time run separate routes.

I may be able to get the glass I want without selling the 23f1.4 as it is my favourite bit of glass. I think hunting second hand values on all lines is in order here.
Really must make sure I read the post better next time. Makes more sense couldn't see why you where swapping the rest and getting the 1.4 version. Had totally forgot about the new 2.8.

Makes a lot of objective sense. Not that these things should always be rational but hard to argue with the logic. Like others I loved the 23mm 1.4 when I shot Fuji and, rather unfashionably, I also had a massive soft spot for the 18mm f/2. I like a lens to have a bit of character even if that might sometimes be considered a flaw to some. The f/2/WR lenses seem really nice (I particularly enjoyed the 35mm) but there isn't so much appeal to me. They don't feel as nice to hold or use and the output of them seems almost too good/clean. They are not really the family of lenses that drew me to Fuji in the first place but I can't really argue with what they can deliver.

Yeah, why not?

If you don't want the wider apertures for DoF or low light then smaller and lighter f2's could make a lot of sense.

"50f2, 35f2, 23f2, 16f2.8" These seem a bit close together maybe and maybe one or two could be dropped but if funds allow why not have a good spread...

Good luck with it, it all sounds very sensible to me, not everyone wants or needs f1.x lenses.

From the quoted bit, you won't miss the wider options too much so IIWY, I'd do the switch. Maybe keep one of the faster leses for when shallow DoF or low light would be a real help?

To keep weight, bulk and changes to a minimum, I use the 10-24, 18-135 and 100-400 zooms and ramp up the ISO if needed to get a fast enough shutter speed.

If I can move the 18f2, 35f1.4 and 56f1.2 off for reasonable money I may be able to get the 16f2.8, 23f2, 35f2 and 50f2 for not much more and keep the 23f1.4 for those moments when needs really must...

Some MPB and market place work is in order I think

Do you not find 18/23/35 a bit cluttered? Not all that much in between. Even 16/23/32 would be overkill for me, I'd rather get the 16 1.4 and the 35 only. But, if that's how you like it - I think you might get a bit more for your lenses than you think - if sold private/on here vs trading in

If I can move the 18f2, 35f1.4 and 56f1.2 off for reasonable money I may be able to get the 16f2.8, 23f2, 35f2 and 50f2 for not much more and keep the 23f1.4 for those moments when needs really must...

Some MPB and market place work is in order I think

IMO there's little point in having both 23mm options - keep the fast one and use the 16mm WR if it's raining!

Back