Would a f2.8 be better ?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Was up on Great Hill, Lancashire this weekend taking some shots of the local fell race and was pretty pleased with the outcome using the EFS 55-250 f4 lens, but I was wondering how much better a f2.8 lens would be ?

Whilst I have played around a bit over the years, I don't have any technical knowledge or background, so looking to learn.

Here are a couple of shots I took:

1.jpg
[/IMG]

3.jpg

4.jpg

Youve frozen the action, youve kept noise to very acceptable levels and your intended target is in focus, an f/2.8 lens in these circumstances would only help to isolate your subject more from the background, of course AF would also be quicker but it doesn't look like you need quicker AF, all in all given the restrictions of your kit you did well

For this type of photography I dont think a f2.8 would ahve made any different.. I would have shot it in f4 or maybe f5.6 anyways :)

Martin, before you even start to think about new kit you need to learn how to use what you have already properly.

With the type of shots that you've taken, and in that light, the combination of a 450D & 55-250mm will produce pictures that range from abysmal, through adequate to excellent in the right hands. None of yours are abysmal, in fact in terms of composition, siting and timing they aren't bad.

Currently you are using the camera's Sports mode, which means apart from pointing the lens in the right direction and pressing the shutter at the right moment all the technical decisions are being made for you.

If you want to improve your photographs, the best thing to do before dashing out and buying new kit is to learn how to use your tools properly. That means understanding exposure, Depth of Field, use of focus points and a whole raft of other things.

There are plenty of guides on TP, both in this forum and the tutorial section. Once you are able to use the camera to it's full extent, there will come a time after some practice when you won't need to ask which lens to get, or how much it will improve your images, because you will already know - that's the time to upgrade!

Just to back up my point, with these photos an f/2.8 wouldn't have been much benefit at all because everything was shot at f/7.1 or narrower; ie you wouldn't have seen much, if any, benefit at all.

Put it this way, you wouldn't dive into a 20k Fell race with no prep and build up - at least not unless you wanted to be a passenger in an SAR heli! Photography's the same, except more expensive. You can throw all the money you want at it, but without the building blocks of knowledge your photos won't change a huge amount.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said! (y)

Last edited:
Ha Ha, I get the point !!! ...... you see so much posted about "2.8 this" and "2.8 that" and my original post was just a query, not a thought that it would be better or anything.

I used the Sports mode as it gives a good quick rapid fire of shots and out of them you will probably get the "basic" shot you need, certainly on the downhill where you need the footplant ....

more reading to be done .... :eek:)

Only thing you could have done more is a bit of fill flash esp on the first one and a wider aperture. Theres plenty of ambient, just a bit of fill I'd say. If I am doing something like this i'd prob not go under f4.

Iain

As has been said learn all about your camera, it's the only way to get the best results and on the plus side there's some really talented sports guys that will be only too happy to help you out on TP

I started out with using the full auto modes and if I'm honest it slowed my learning curve right down, get into the manual modes ASAP

When it comes to sports stuff for me I also use a 450D

Shooting mode multi shot, focus mode AI SERVO, centre point focus, shooting mode for me is usually Av aperture priority with as bigger aperture as I could achieve then it's a case of setting the ISO you need to get decent shutter speed, then it comes down to knowing your gear and tweaking your settings I know work on getting a shutter speed in of at least 1/640 but ideally quicker, this is what I have learnt in the last 12 months mainly thanks to the helpful pro's on TP

Matt
MWHCVT

Martin, before you even start to think about new kit you need to learn how to use what you have already properly.

With the type of shots that you've taken, and in that light, the combination of a 450D & 55-250mm will produce pictures that range from abysmal, through adequate to excellent in the right hands. None of yours are abysmal, in fact in terms of composition, siting and timing they aren't bad.

Currently you are using the camera's Sports mode, which means apart from pointing the lens in the right direction and pressing the shutter at the right moment all the technical decisions are being made for you.

If you want to improve your photographs, the best thing to do before dashing out and buying new kit is to learn how to use your tools properly. That means understanding exposure, Depth of Field, use of focus points and a whole raft of other things.

There are plenty of guides on TP, both in this forum and the tutorial section. Once you are able to use the camera to it's full extent, there will come a time after some practice when you won't need to ask which lens to get, or how much it will improve your images, because you will already know - that's the time to upgrade!

Just to back up my point, with these photos an f/2.8 wouldn't have been much benefit at all because everything was shot at f/7.1 or narrower; ie you wouldn't have seen much, if any, benefit at all.

Put it this way, you wouldn't dive into a 20k Fell race with no prep and build up - at least not unless you wanted to be a passenger in an SAR heli! Photography's the same, except more expensive. You can throw all the money you want at it, but without the building blocks of knowledge your photos won't change a huge amount.

Cracking good post.....(y)

Great shots but......

every time I see people running like this, I feel guilty and that I should be doing same as them... keeping fit.... :(

You did well... shots like this normally blow the sky out....

If I remember correctly the Sports mode sets the ISO at 400.

At times you will need more than this, so play with the other settings.

Back