would d90 suit a newbie?

Name
simon
Edit My Images
Yes
hi
i am new on here and looking for a dslr.
i have the following nikon fit lenses at my disposal:-

tokina 70-210 macro, AF 35-300
sigma 24-70, 28-85 macro
and tamron AF 28-200 ld.

these were all from my Dad's film slr collection.
i am thinking of getting a d90, as i have read that the older AF lenses will still auto focus with it.
would this camera, in your opinions, be "too much" for a total beginner?

if the d90 is ok for me, should i bother with the 18-105 vr kit lens, or buy body only?

many thanks for your advice.
Simon
btw i am mainly interested in macro/ landscape photography.

I don't think it would be too much for a beginner, it's no more difficult to use than an entry level DSLR (and I owned one of those previously).

Your best bet is to go to a reputable camera shop and try one, also get the full details of the lenses and check they are compatible too. This may help answer if an 18-105 is needed.

Well my first DSLR was the D80 and i got along fine with it. I now have the D90 and it's far better than the D80 and i would say you should be ok with it.

Im not sure about your lenses though but i would get the kit the 18-105 has the VR which is very handy indeed and not to bad and the landscapes when your out and about without the old tripod.

Can I suggest you take a look at this link below, where it says D300 substitute different Nikon models ie D90 If you do this with each model and view the total tutorial movies,you may discover which you think would suit you the best. It is a really helpful genuine Nikon site

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d300/index.shtml

Realspeed

depends on your budget, i think D90 is a great camera for its money :)

I started with a D80 and it was a great first dslr, so the D90 will be too - it's easy enough to use that it isn't intimidating, but advanced enough that you won't grow out of it too quickly, which can happen with the likes of the D40/D60 models.

took the plunge and bought one today!
heres hoping your right???;)

I'm sure you'll be fine. Most entry and mid level DSLRs take good photographs on "A" or "P" using the default settings, providing the conditions are reasonable, and give you a chance to get used to the camera before experimenting with the all the other features and settings. It can take time and practice to get the best out of these cameras, but they're not particularly difficult to use and it's a myth that you have to belong to some arcane school of initiates to get good results. I've seen far too many posts on some forums warning beginners that camera XYZ is far too much for them to cope with, and telling them to get an entry model. My wife isn't interested in photography, and doesn't know or care about ISO, white balance or any of the other things some of us like to debate, but she can use my 30D and takes embarassingly good photographs a lot of the time! Have fun.

the D90 is a great camera for the money, but if you finances are tight then def look at the D40/D40x

as yet i dont know how.
been looking for the "pic and albums " link in my user cp, but cant see it:(.
but then my 1st pics look c..., so your not missing out;)

Click on the Galleries link instead of the UserCP.
Then look on the right hand side for the upload link ( just below the google ads banners).

Either that, or use somewhere like Photobucket to host your pics.

(y)

I bought my first dslr a few weeks ago and that was the D90! I absolutely love it :) I much preferred the feel of it to the smaller D40 and I wanted something that would last me longer before I wanted to upgrade. Unfortunately I have exams at the moment though so playing with it is on hold :( !

I haven't tried out the movie mode much yet - a little daunted by manual focus! Anyone else had any success?

Back