Would you be happy with these shots?;

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Had my 1D Mk II for about 2 months now, half of that time it's been at Fixation as i wasn't happy with the focus.
I'm STILL trying to get the worksheet from the shop i bought it from so i know exactly what was fixed! (the estimate sheet i do have, which states new PCB and connector, it has to be connected to a pc to calibrate/fix the autofocus)).
Anyway, today was the first day since i've had it back 'fixed' where the weather has been not p***ing it down! so i headed of to Manchester airport to test it out.
I bought it for sports, but my lads last three matches have been cancelled due to the weather, hence shooting aircraft as i needed to test it HSS on AI servo AF.
Maybe i'm being overcritical, or i'm looking for faults but below are two shots taken from bursts of around 15, and i'm not very impressed.
I expected a 1 series to produce excellent results!, especially one thats just had a service, clean and had it's AF checked/fixed!.
Maybe it's just me? what do you think?

photostream

Are you sure focus was on the plane?

What focus points did you use?

Why did you use HSS on a plane anyway?

Last edited:
Are you sure focus was on the plane?

What focus points did you use?

Why did you use HSS on a plane anyway?

Hi Mike
Focus was def on the plane, AV mode, AI SERVO, centre AF point, spot metering, 1/2500, ISO 400, f7.1, IS off, high speed continuous shooting, taken with 70-200mm f2.8L IS II.
I used the above settings as these are pretty much what i use for football (except for evaluative metering and f2.8),
i know footballers and aircraft aren't similar! but they move quite fast!!!
I've a match this Saturday morning, so fingers crossed the pitch won't be waterlogged (again) and i can take some comparable images, before/after camera fixed.
I still think they're poor images.

Nope, that combo should produce better images even in the hands of an aardvark.

Go outside tomorrow in good light and shoot something flat head on, brick walls are good. Go for about 12' away, then cock a snook at the results. If its soft it would indicate back focussing issues. Does the 1d2 have in camera focus calibration?

Nope, that combo should produce better images even in the hands of an aardvark.

Go outside tomorrow in good light and shoot something flat head on, brick walls are good. Go for about 12' away, then cock a snook at the results. If its soft it would indicate back focussing issues. Does the 1d2 have in camera focus calibration?

no MA on the Mk 2, this came in on the Mk 3.

that combo should produce better images even in the hands of an aardvark.
?

:LOL: classic

I agree though theres summat not right - assuming its not operator error of course ;)

i had a canon 7d and i found more keepers were possible by using a slower fps rate.machine gunning did`t help tbh.

Hi Mike
Focus was def on the plane, AV mode, AI SERVO, centre AF point, spot metering, 1/2500, ISO 400, f7.1, IS off, high speed continuous shooting, taken with 70-200mm f2.8L IS II.
I used the above settings as these are pretty much what i use for football (except for evaluative metering and f2.8),
i know footballers and aircraft aren't similar! but they move quite fast!!!
I've a match this Saturday morning, so fingers crossed the pitch won't be waterlogged (again) and i can take some comparable images, before/after camera fixed.
I still think they're poor images.

Apart from centre-weighted average, the only other thing for me would be to leave IS on in position 2.

The reason I asked about focus points was the background seems just as sharp (or sharper) than the plane.

Think you still have a problem with your kit :(

IS is not necessary at those speeds, and Mode 2 is only an interruption of linear stabilisation, not a massive help when there is movement in 2 planes. IS also slows down the AF.

Looks a bit soft, presuming it is not 100% crop. Mk2s are now so cheap, I don't see why you are spending almost the same money on repairs when you could just pick one from ebay and get rid of this one. Also have you considered its the lens for whatever reason, or the technique?

Back