Would you expect this...

S

stepheno

I was sat in the car waiting for my wife when I thought I'd see how the 50mm 1.8 did in low-light. So took this one. Taken at ISO 400, 1/25, f1.8. Is it what you would expect, better or worse? TIA

redlion.jpg

regards

i think thats pretty good, nice and sharp, but then i dont have any experience with that lens

Appreciate your comments Eos. I thought it seemed pretty good myself but I'll wait for someone who's used the lens and get their thoughts too.

regards

I've got the lens but been too busy too play with it.
If that is the result you can get with it I'll be making the effort.

to be honest the ' speed ' of the lens , in this case 1:1.8 wont make that much difference, as the camera knows this and adjusts the settings accordingly, no one has ever disputed the quality of prime lenses, when it comes to sharpnes, just the ' speed' for certain circumstances

just my thoughts

MyPix

Bachs - I've been consciously using the 50mm more, recently. It gives a different perspective on one's shots when you have to move rather than just zoom.

MyPix - I've never doubted the speed of a prime lens, this was really a query about how it fared in a low light situation. I've always used it in daylight before now

Thanks for both coments.

regards

That's the best reason for having a fast 50mm lens -available light use. You wont always get away with 1/25th sec hand held, but sometimes you will, and even get away with going slower, so it's worth always having a go.

Nice shot btw. :)

Thanks CT - I wish now I tried going to a higher ISO as well - just to see the results.

regards

Also have this lens & found it great for indoor portraits by natural light. It wasn't just the speed of the lens, but the PQ of the shots it allows you to take :)

I need to get this lens... wonder what the wifey will say if I just get one ;)

Braeden said:

Don't tell her until she's seen the results.

Honestly, the sharpness of this lens it like 10x better than a stock zoom lens. Just keep the app above 2.5 as it gets soft fully open.

Braeden said:

I took these on mine, inside using only natural light & handheld :-

Photo_020.jpg

same here with some Post Processing :-

Photo_001.jpg

Now tell your missus you can do the same with your little one & hopefully she will bite your hand off ;) .......just under £70 delivered ....bargain !!!

SammyC said:
Don't tell her until she's seen the results.

Example with my 50mm f/1.4 The most used lens in my bag.. :)

tacksharpsmall.jpg

Thanks all for replies. Sammy, I haven't noticed any softness fully open but I'll go looking now :thumb:

regards

To be honest mate its only in comparison to itself really. Still way sharper than most normal (i.e. non L) lenses.

If you can get it around f8 I think that's at its sharpest. :)

Back