Wow I would like this lens for my F2

Go on Paul. How can you live without it ?

Nice lens, but you might get a less severe whacking with 200mm F4 AI/AIS instead? I paid £40 for mine & it is optically very good. It is also a bit lighter than the 180mm F2.8.

Do it. It's a gorgeous piece of glass and if your wife won't appreciate it then get it delivered to work and keep it in your camera bag for a couple of months before taking it out at home and saying, "what, this old lens? Had it for ages, dear."

I'm playing the long game in preparing mine for the purchase of a Fuji 10-24mm but I'm fairly sure she'll out-do me by giving every indication that she's not bothered in the slightest when I finally buy it.

It's just one of the games we play :)

Ridiculous price unless you are flushed with money or a pro.....I'm happy with three primes and about six zooms that can be used at 200mm although the minimum aperture is f4, and all you lose is one stop from f2.8, and for the Nikon fans "a bit of Nikon goodness".

Do it. It's a gorgeous piece of glass and if your wife won't appreciate it then get it delivered to work and keep it in your camera bag for a couple of months before taking it out at home and saying, "what, this old lens? Had it for ages, dear."

I'm playing the long game in preparing mine for the purchase of a Fuji 10-24mm but I'm fairly sure she'll out-do me by giving every indication that she's not bothered in the slightest when I finally buy it.

It's just one of the games we play :)

They are very sneaky like that aren't they, all quiet and nice then one day...BOOM... 'you spent all that money on a lens and all I want is a nice (insert item here)......' GAH! Women, can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em.....

(Sorry dear, only joking, you're not like that at all)

You guys do know this is a public forum and that your wives probably lurk here, right?

Interesting to see that someone else does the "oh I've had it ages" thing though! Doesn't work, but it does at least make me feel like I'm a little in control!!!!

Oh I know, The Current Mrs Snap is a member and often uses the forum to tell me off from a distance.

In fact I notice she is on line as we speak @Mrs Snap ...Hello Dear :wave:

You guys do know this is a public forum and that your wives probably lurk here, right?

Mine doesn't, I bore her enough about cameras in real life to ensure she doesn't want to read what I'm posting about it online too.

Interesting to see that someone else does the "oh I've had it ages" thing though! Doesn't work, but it does at least make me feel like I'm a little in control!!!!

You're right, it doesn't work, particularly when you start giggling like a school boy and looking like a Beano caricature of guilt but it's all about maintaining the illusion. :)

Before you pull the trigger on this, go for the AI-S version instead of the AI, because it has ED glass and is regarded noticeably better.

I had one until recently, and it produces amazing results that would stand up to any modern pro lens, but it went as part of my cull, given that I really didn't use it all that often. I'd be sure you have a specific use for it before blowing good money.

But it is awesome for sure (especially the AI-S one, as I said).

I'd be sure you have a specific use for it before blowing good money.

This is a valid point, I have a 200mm f/2.8 FD lens that I last used in 1999. It did the job well enough but should really go in the sale pile, along with so much other stuff.

One day, I really should sell something out of that pile instead of talking about it. :confused:

This is a valid point, I have a 200mm f/2.8 FD lens that I last used in 1999. It did the job well enough but should really go in the sale pile, along with so much other stuff.

One day, I really should sell something out of that pile instead of talking about it. :confused:

Best way I found to part with things I didn't really want to sell but rarely used, was to think of it in terms of buying something I do want. So sell unused items and treat yourself :)

Best way I found to part with things I didn't really want to sell but rarely used, was to think of it in terms of buying something I do want. So sell unused items and treat yourself :)

Oh, I'm on that idea like a tramp on chips, trust me. The problem I have is that when I make a pile of things to sell, I start justifying keeping them instead and talk myself out of whatever it is I want. Though I'm beginning to make a plan ... ;)

Yeah, it's not easy, and I still have yearnings for some of the things I sold....the beautiful Nikkor-AI fisheye lens, the F3, the F, the F4, the FE2, and so on....but there was no real justification for keeping them, given how much use they got and all the other kit I still have. With the cash I made selling that lot I got my Pentax 645 kit, and still have all the 35mm stuff I really need. There was far too much duplication of camera bodies and lenses which never got enough use...now my kit is actually much more useful, and less 'collector-ey'!

Nice lens, but you might get a less severe whacking with 200mm F4 AI/AIS instead? I paid £40 for mine & it is optically very good. It is also a bit lighter than the 180mm F2.8.

Thanks will have a look :)

I had the AF version of the 180mm f/2.8 but rarely used it. TBH, I only bought it because it was ridiculously cheap (£150 IIRC) and when I traded it in, I got £200 for it. From the same shop a couple of years later. I found it a bit 'twixt and 'tween for me - too long for some things and too short for others. The f/2.8 was nice but not nice enough to make me pack the 180 rather than the 70-300 VR (which I know isn't an option for the F2).

Very nice bit of glass there, i picked up 4 cameras, 11 lens of different size and some odds n sods for 60 euros, 3 of the lens are Vivitar, 28mm, 135mm and 200mm, all primes and i cant wait for the blooming adapter to arrive as they are all Minolta mount and i have Nikon :eek:

Back