Wratten 2a gel filter - where can I get one?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

I have to confess this is the first time I've ventured into the film section but I reckon you're most likely going to be the guys that can provide an answer.

As the title, I'm looking for a Wratten 2a gel filter that I can cut up into inch squares and use with the rear filter mount I've just bought for my Lumix 7-14mm.

I've come to the conclusion that the Wratten 2a filter itself is virtually impossible to get hold of and so I wondered if there may be an equivalent by another manufacturer? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

I've also posted this question in the Talk Equipment section in an attempt to cover all bases.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Can I ask why you would want one? A wratten 2A filter is essentially the same as a UV filter (I.E it absorbs UV). Tiffen are the manufacturers of the 'official' Wratten filters, but most places selling their filters only tend to sell in large quantities (and with a price tag to match!) as their mainly used in the film industry and are very high quality.

Thanks guys.

Can I ask why you would want one? A wratten 2A filter is essentially the same as a UV filter (I.E it absorbs UV). Tiffen are the manufacturers of the 'official' Wratten filters, but most places selling their filters only tend to sell in large quantities (and with a price tag to match!) as their mainly used in the film industry and are very high quality.

You certainly can, Samuel! The Olympus OM-D E-M1 when combined with the Panasonic Lumix 7-14mm lens is really susceptible to purple flare......really susceptible. The 2a filter vitually eradicates the UV related vivid purpleness. Apparently the built in UV filter on the Olympus body shows it's weakness when paired with the Panasonic wide angle but not so much so with the (near) equivelant Olympus lens.

Thanks, Ken. I had these guys bookmarked from my previous research. Have you used them yourself?

Thanks, David. I hadn't considered buying from abroad yet until I'd exhausted the UK search but it may be an option I'll have to explore.

Cheers

Mark

A mate of mine has used, and recommends, them. They seem to know their stuff!

Back