Wrong colour when printing with Canon Pro1000

Name
per jorgensen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with colour when printing with my Canon Pro1000. Can anyone help??

My monitor is a Benq SW271. It is calibrated with a i1Display from X-rite, D65, Panel Native, Luminance 80,
I am printing on a Canon Pro1000, Using Lightroom and Hahnemühle Photo Pearl. I soft proof and i am using the right ICC-profile ( rom Hanhemühle) when soft proofing and printing.
I am using original Canon ink.

Still, my prints have a reddish/megenta tint..... Any ideas????

Thanks in advance
Per G.

If you print from something like PAINT do you get the correct colours.

I used to have the same problem with a Pro1000, its called double profiling. Im really sorry I can't remember what the cure is but I'm sure you need to change something on the lines of profiling in the software and also the Canon driver. I use a Pro100s now that prints correctly in Lightroom but not Photoshop even though I profile using an I1pro

If you print from something like PAINT do you get the correct colours.

I used to have the same problem with a Pro1000, its called double profiling. Im really sorry I can't remember what the cure is but I'm sure you need to change something on the lines of profiling in the software and also the Canon driver. I use a Pro100s now that prints correctly in Lightroom but not Photoshop even though I profile using an I1pro
Thanks for reply.

I think you are probably referring to colour matching in the print driver dialogue box. But i did turn colour matching off, so i don't think taht this is my problem.

If you’re. To double profiling then get a custom profile made. Not all printers are the same so the downloadable profiles are not always accurate for your printer.

If your colours are wildly off then make sure all your colours are firing. Have you done a nozzle check?

If you’re. To double profiling then get a custom profile made. Not all printers are the same so the downloadable profiles are not always accurate for your printer.

If your colours are wildly off then make sure all your colours are firing. Have you done a nozzle check?
I dont think the ICC profile is the problem. I have the same issue with four different papers... The nozzle check is fine. Thanks for reply.

Would the wrong colour space make the difference? IIRC, there are several different RGB spaces.

Do you get the issue with other papers?

Reason I ask is that some papers have a natural red caste to them. Saying a paper has a "red caste" or is "bad with greens" is extremely subjective. Some of the Epson "fine art" papers are really bad to my eyes. Looking at my Hahnemuhle tests, I've not tested this paper specifically (Unless it's Photo Rag Pearl) but Photo Silk Baryta I've noted has very yellowy blacks, and Photo Rag Bright White has an overly red caste.

If you get the issue with other paper, then it's likely a printer/driver/double profiling issue, but if it's just with this particular paper, it's likely a paper/ICC issue. If it just happens with this paper, have you tried it non-profiling and "letting the printer manage colours"? Could be the ICC profile is borked.

I purchased a Canon Pro - 200 at the beginning of the year, I must say I struggled a little coming from Epson software to Canon. Make sure in the colour management section, you have "no colour correction". If opening via photoshop, it's in a different location. - go into print settings / Main / colour / intensity/set / matching / select none.
Hope this helps.

Do you get the issue with other papers?

Reason I ask is that some papers have a natural red caste to them. Saying a paper has a "red caste" or is "bad with greens" is extremely subjective. Some of the Epson "fine art" papers are really bad to my eyes. Looking at my Hahnemuhle tests, I've not tested this paper specifically (Unless it's Photo Rag Pearl) but Photo Silk Baryta I've noted has very yellowy blacks, and Photo Rag Bright White has an overly red caste.

If you get the issue with other paper, then it's likely a printer/driver/double profiling issue, but if it's just with this particular paper, it's likely a paper/ICC issue. If it just happens with this paper, have you tried it non-profiling and "letting the printer manage colours"? Could be the ICC profile is borked.
Hello. Thanks for replying.

Yes. i get the same issue with Photo Pearl and with Photo matt fiber. Both are plain Photo papers. I will try with two different fine-art papers and see if it is the same thing. However i have noticed a significant difference in apperance depending on whether i tick the box "simulate paper and ink" in lightroom, and i think i need to play around with that a little.. Will also try non profiling as you suggest.

Thanks

Hello. Thanks for replying.

Yes. i get the same issue with Photo Pearl and with Photo matt fiber. Both are plain Photo papers. I will try with two different fine-art papers and see if it is the same thing. However i have noticed a significant difference in apperance depending on whether i tick the box "simulate paper and ink" in lightroom, and i think i need to play around with that a little.. Will also try non profiling as you suggest.

Thanks

The simulate paper and ink button doesn't do anything to the final print output. It is meant to simulate the colour and D-Max of the paper to give you an idea of what the print would look like on that paper. You don't have to look very far to find that most photographers ignore it and many call it the "make my photo look like crap" button. I wouldn't be using it to make adjustments to your colours prior to printing.

i know it’s been mentioned before but are you absolutely sure you arent double profiling. In Lightroom set Lightroom to manage colour then turn off all colour management in printer settings. sorry if I’m repeating.

Hello again,

The colour is still off on the two mentioned photopapers, but when printing on fine-art paper they are pretty much spot on. So i probably have a problem with my ICC-profiles. Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

Regards
Per G.

The colour is still off on the two mentioned photopapers, but when printing on fine-art paper they are pretty much spot on
I'm assuming you're choosing the right paper in the paper settings? (i.e. matt vs gloss/lustre)
If so, then do give it a go without a profile. If that's good, then it's definitely the profile. I'm fairly certain Keith Cooper did a video on his channel about making your own profiles should you want to go through the hassle of it.

Glad you're getting to the bottom of it.

I'm assuming you're choosing the right paper in the paper settings? (i.e. matt vs gloss/lustre)
If so, then do give it a go without a profile. If that's good, then it's definitely the profile. I'm fairly certain Keith Cooper did a video on his channel about making your own profiles should you want to go through the hassle of it.

Glad you're getting to the bottom of it.
Yes, i have not tried non-profiling yet. Maybe i should give it a go. I know Keith Cooper's channel and i will give it a look. Thanks again.

Per G

I had an issue with a specific paper manufacturer supplied profile for my Canon 300 printer. The prints came out with anything Cyan coming out over saturated. I tried various things without much success. In the end I tried printing with the just Canon profile for the closest matching paper (pro-lustre) and was much happier with the results. I deleted the supplied profile from my PC so I didn't use it by accident again. The results were good enough that I didn't go down the route of getting a custom profile made for the paper.

I had a problem with my Canon Pro Graf 1000 printer a month or so ago. Red became a bit of a bluh orange. I did the calibration thing etc. I cntacted Tim at Fotospeed whose initial thoughts did include getting my ICC profiles done again. Before we did that, he suggested to delete the printer's driver and reinstall it from the website. Problem solved.

I had a huge problem with my Canon Pro 100s in B&W. for the life of me I couldn't get rid of a tint when using the printer wirelessly.

No problem in USB mode.

Sold the printer and got an Epson - bliss!

Back