Wrong ISO

Geo

Name
George
Edit My Images
No
I have posted this once before, but it was in the wrong forum. I recently did a shoot and for some reason, my ISO was stuck on auto 3200 (never changed in the 100 photos took). I never ( i know y'all heard that before) shoot in auto. The end result evey photo is grainy, I have tried LR5, NX2, photos cape (win and mac). The images still even after noise and sharpening, shake reduction (ps cc), the only thing that has helped some in reducing image size to 4x6 and pixels to 100, originals are shot in NEF, converted to Jpeg post production, retried all the above. Is there any ideas to fix this issue, the ISO should have been 200/400.
Camera used nikon d3000 with 18-55 lens and 70-200, YN560-II on camera and uv filter as they were taken out side in a park. The attached is after 45 mins of filters adjustments, the day was sunny, 90 deg. and very sparse cloud coverage. When viewed through the camera images looked fine but the screen is only 3x3.

View attachment 14857

Could you post an original shot up? If that's after 45 mins work I don't think you're going to be able to do much with them. Once the noise is there, it's there ingrained into the image. The only thing I can suggest is to go all arty and abstract with the pictures.

The original looks 100 times better than your 45 minute edit!

If it were my shot, a little bit on NR in Lightroom and it would be fine.

... still even after noise and sharpening
If you have an excessive noise problem the last thing you need is any form of sharpening. You can forgo it in PS, or set it to zero in LR, which as installed applies a default amount.

Last edited:
View attachment 14875 this is the original in the orig size, f10 1/4000 120mm iso 3200
1024 x 685 isn't the original size from a d3000, the smallest it'll shoot is 1,936 x 1,296. Can you post the raw somewhere for someone to try on that, we'll get better results from the original.
Heres a quick go in noisewhere (I lightened it a bit too)

Glad it helped! For what it's worth, I tend to use a layer copy of images needing a lot of noise reduction, put the NR on the layer to near the max, which gives the dreaded 'plastic' look, and then reduce the opacity of the layer to allow the original to show through a bit. This allows you to get a more natural looking finish. If you work with a mask, bits of the image (shadows, say, and blue sky)) that don't much matter can be maxed out to get rid of all the noise while leaving the detail looking OK.

As ever, practice is all.

Back