Wrong time of year ???

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Popped down to Arundel WWT this morning, my memebership is due and I was going to renew it but have had a rethink, the place is an absolute mess.
They are doing a lot of work, building a new hide, drained the pond outside the cafe to remodel it, people all over the place clearing out undergrowth etc.
Surely the breeding season is not the best time to do all this :shrug:
Hardly anything about and far too much noise, gave up and came home after a couple of hours.

Popped down to Arundel WWT this morning, my memebership is due and I was going to renew it but have had a rethink, the place is an absolute mess.
They are doing a lot of work, building a new hide, drained the pond outside the cafe to remodel it, people all over the place clearing out undergrowth etc.
Surely the breeding season is not the best time to do all this :shrug:
Hardly anything about and far too much noise, gave up and came home after a couple of hours.

Very surprised that any well run reserve would be doing any work at this time of year.

Could it be delayed from conditions caused bu the winter, i would say the breeding season has been delayed round my way, this week is the first sign of any springlike weather.

Reserves do need management, left to there own they can quickly deterioate.

Yes Brian I do appreciate that, but doing major works during the nesting season is really not a good idea, they could wait a while
Another reserve I go to drained their pond at this time of year a few years back and a lot of the birds are only just returning :(

Totally agree Ingrid, ive seen many similar examples over the years, sometimes its a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you dont. Express your feelings to the organisation concerned and judge them by their reply. would love to see their response reported here. Money may play a part.

I guess they've just managed to get things started before breeding began in earnest. It's not as if there isn't an abundance of similar habitats just around the corner.

Back