WTF is this monster

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Came across this monster today, and i am at a loss as to what it is!, but its some three inches or so in length, and seems to be aggressive?.

Can some kind member please tell me what it is?.

Constructive comments and critique welcome.

Best regards Paul

I'm not sure I would use the word cute, but it is a great shot! Well found (y)

That is going to demolish some plant life:eek: still, as long as we get the pictures eh? :) :) :)

Last edited:
It's gorgeous and a great shot of him/her too... :clap:

Hi guys :wave:, and thanks for your kind words. (y)

This was certainly a large Caterpillar and the Moth must be as equally large, but well before i become interested in photography, i think i photographed a moth that may fit the bill.
It was hovering around my Fuchsia plants for ages, about two hours in total.
I was told that the same species come back to the same area every year, so could it be?.
Sorry for the poor quality image of the Moth!.

Anyone for an answer please?.

Best regards Paul

That looks like a hummingbird moth to me, not an elephant hawk. Awesome little creatures all the same though, nice find :)

Thanks guys for the info, i was not sure if they were one and the same as i think the Hummingbird Moth has several other names to go by.
I will Google Elephant moth to know what to look out for over the next few weeks, and hope i get a clear shot of it.
Of course i will post the shot on the forum.
Its funny that it should say that the Hummingbird Moths are often mistaken for a Hummingbird, as that is exactly what we thought it was

Best regards Paul

They may look interesting, but they make one hell of a mess of the fuschias!

For some unknown reason i lost all my fuchsias and there were five of them, i think i managed to save maybe one, only time will tell.
I don't know if this is a caused by the Hummingbird moth, or its Caterpillar.

Best regards Paul

It's caused by the caterpillar devouring all its leaves. We have about 8 varieties of fuschia, but they only seem to be interested in one type. My wifes the gardener so I cant remember which variety it is that they enjoy!

It's caused by the caterpillar devouring all its leaves. We have about 8 varieties of fuchsia, but they only seem to be interested in one type. My wifes the gardener so I cant remember which variety it is that they enjoy!

Well thanks for the info Strangways, if i get some more Fuchsias i will be certain to check if they are vulnerable to this leaf eating monster.

Best regards Paul

Back