WWT noise in hides ?

I have read somewhere of a Barn Owl being very interested in the noise of a piezo focus motor.

Sorry to drag an old topic up, but I was at WWT barnes yesterday in a hide with my 300 f4 and a man asked me to pull it back inside so the lens was not protruding as the birds think it's a gun and will fly off! I've never expereinced this, has anybody else?

No, never had a problem with it scaring birds off.
As has been said before perople waving their arms out when they see something does everytime

Sorry to drag an old topic up, but I was at WWT barnes yesterday in a hide with my 300 f4 and a man asked me to pull it back inside so the lens was not protruding as the birds think it's a gun and will fly off! I've never expereinced this, has anybody else?

I would bet large sums of cash that 99.999% of birds at Barnes have never seen a gun at all, let alone one with a barrel as large at a 400mm lens. I'd have just laughed at the ****!

He obviously has an overly optimistic view of the logical processes in the avian brain! If grouse on a shooting moor don't recognise guns for what they are, I'm pretty sure a wader on the scrape at Barnes isn't going to work it out!

What does happen is that lenses protruding from a hide move, and it's the movement that a bird responds to, not it's interpretation of what that particular shape might be. A hide presents a pretty blank face to the wildlife - that's its job - and sudden movement on that face can cause alarm.

What a load of Cr*p. From my experience the biggest issue with noise in hides is people entering and leaving the hide whilst having there dinner. I am always very quiet when leaving and entering the hides. The number of times I have been sitting there all quiet with my camera and someone enters the hide, bangs the door shut, then looks around in the bins for two min before then opening a packet and crisps and eating there sandwich whilst having a conversation with their partner. Oh and lets not forget the texts they receive for some rare bird located at the other end of the country.

It is normally the sound of the shutter that then gets there attention.

Not all people are like this but I have personally had many experiences like this.

If someone mentioned the noise of my shutter or my lens hanging out of the hide and I politely tell them they can always go else where.

My rant over :)

Back