Beginner X-t10 vs e-m10 mk ii

Name
Lukasz
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I don't want this post to become a fight between owners of these two awesome cameras. I just wanted to ask you what would be easier to use in terms of using focus peaking feature? I am using a cheap epl5 and I'm happy with the results and prints in getting but I noticed that sometimes when I take a spontaneous portrait of my gf or friends the focus is not on the eyes. I did some reading and I think focus peaking would help a lot. I know I know, it's skills that matter and all, but if I could get this feature on my cheap camera that's all I would change. I'm also looking into in the future doing some night photography of skies with stars. I saw pictures from original em10 and I think they were perfectly fine, I'm definitely not going to be counting grains in the prints. What it's your personal views on using both camera from both points of view: focus peaking and night photography?
All best,
Luk

I've never used focus peaking on either my old em10 or current em1 - I found the speed of the AF extremely fast and accurate when coupled with a f1.8 lens

The issue for shooting stars is that you want a wide quick lens - the o25 will be quick enough but not wide enough.

No experience of the Fuji, sorry

I used an EPL5 for a while. Great little camera. I needed to use the EVF with it (Electronic View Finder) as I am short sighted and need to have reading glasses to see the screen.

I found having to put the EVF on a bit of a pain. Alas the shutter mechanism failed on the EPL 5, so I went for the Em10. (EPL 5 repaired for £99 by Olympus). EM10 good as it has a EVF and Flash built in.

As for the focus peaking, it is good when using manual focusing, but don't often use manual mode. Astro often needs a manual focus, but by switching on "Reset Lens", the lens is set to infinity just by switching the camera off then on.

Thus bit can be useful, but rarely used..

Never used the Fuji XT10. But can certainly recommend the Em10.

I've used focus peaking a lot on my Fuji's, but only when using manual lenses, I've never used it with auto focus. I think maybe one of the problems with focusing may be due to the lack of EVF on the EPL5, you can get an add on one which would cost you less than the buying a new camera.

Last edited:
I was really impressed with the eye detection focusing on my EM5ii. Looks like the EM10ii has that feature too. I'd assumed it was a bit of a gimmick but actually it works very well and can even be set so that the camera always focuses on the nearest eye. Or are you using manual focus lenses? In which case peaking does work quite well but it's worth changing the colour from the standard white to red, much easier to see.

I actually went for fuji. The reason for it was that evf in mk10 ii was very laggy when using peaking. Otherwise of course it was really clear and amazing.

If I ever get it eventually ; ) The shop I bought it in made a mistake and they don't even have ETA on the X-T10... SIGH :D

There is actually an option for second hand A6000 with 30mm 1.4 at the same price, but I once had a Sony bridge camera and just dislike Sony products ever since.

Nevermind, rip Sony lenses :D is there really no oss wide angle for Sony? I don't even want to hear about that £1000 one haha

wise choice ;)

Back