X-T4 abd Lightroom

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Was watching a video on U-tube this afternoon and it intimated that it was not a good idea to use Lightroom to edit Fujifilm images from the X-T4 camera. Is it so ?.

I use Lightroom for all my Fuji images with no issues whatsoever.

Mr Heaton did a comparison when he got his X-T4 and I think his conclusion was that Enhance Details in lightroom was good enough to not bother changing software

I really like Capture One. It doesn't feel the most intuitive at first, but after some adapting, it's pretty decent. I do prefer it's the handling of the Fuji files personally.

There are some things it's missing though which Lr doesn't have, but it's being built on still and they do ask the users for their insights when considering new options which I like.

I tend not to use the Enhanced Details option when editing my Fuji files as it doesn’t make much difference and creates very large files. Just keep an eye on the sharpening sliders - amount 100 and start with detail of 0 and slowly increase it. Don’t usually take the detail slider above 8 or 10. As Jason said above, the default detail of 40 is the problem.

I use LR with my X-T4. CaptureOne definitely seems to deal with Fuji files more easily but as an overall package I'm happy with LR. And for images that I might print, I can take a more careful approach within LR (maybe using Irident Plug In or enhanced detail or just taking morecare with sharpening tools) and get the result I want. Also worth mentioning that although LR is expensive, the bundle I have includes Photoshop which I would likely want regardless of what cataloguing software I'm using. And LR and PS do talk to each other very nicely so makes for a nice slick work flow.

I admit some of my reluctance to change from LR is partly based on having 10 years+ of catalogued images and user experience built up. Starting from scratch, I'd maybe now be going down the C1 route.

Was watching a video on U-tube this afternoon and it intimated that it was not a good idea to use Lightroom to edit Fujifilm images from the X-T4 camera. Is it so ?.

Some Fuji people seem to find issues with LR demosaicing the X-Trans sensor. Some recommed using the Iridient plugin for LR.

I used LR for a a while with my Fuji raw files and didn't really notice anything untoward.

That said I have shifted to Capture One over the last year - starting with the Fuji only version - and then upgrading and starting to use it for non-Fuji files.

I found it took me several months to get used to LR when I started using it - and had the same issue with C1. Both have some omissions (eg. LR doesn't do layers, C1 doesn't do photo merging) - with the proviso that LR normally comes with Photoshop so anything you can't do in LR - well PS is there to kick ass and take over.

Back