X-tol, can I make up a small amount?

fixedimage

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I got some Xtol recently and the pack I got is to make 5litres.
I have no way to store 5 litres of liquid so is it ok to mix up half the pack to make 2 1/2 litres?
Also, probably a silly question but I am right in saying I add part a to the water, mix until dissolved then add b into that mixture, not mix part A in one jug and part B in another then combine?

You could but not worth the trouble, as some of the powder in may not be properly mixed and you may end up with a different strength developer. It keeps for a long time anyway.

I store it in 5l distilled water containers from Halfords.
That is the correct way to mix it, 4l water, add Part A, fully mix, add part B then add 1l water.

I'll just have to try n get some big containers before I use it then I guess.

I'll echo what Edtog says, the powder is not evenly distrubuted in the pack.. ie the different powders aren't mixed up properly. Maybe buy 5 one litre plastic chemical bottle soff Ebay or somewhere? I have a pile of Xtol and that's what I'll do with mine when I get to start using it once my wet bottles have run out.

And your next problem will be the shelf life of the mixed batch. That is a lot of shooting to use it up in the advertised 6 month shelf life. That is the main reason why I use only very long shelf life, one-shot developers like PMK Pyro (10 year shelf life), Rodinal (not sure but loooong) and HC-110 (can be mixed in small quantities) for better or worse.

Last edited:
Back