x2 converters? The cost in quality.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've recently acquired a x2 converter and wondered what kind of loss in quality I would experience.

Or is that to simplistic a question?

Comus

Depends on how good the converter is, how well matched it is to the lens it's behind and whether it's even compatible with the lens it's intended for (some Nikon lenses [not sure about other brands] cannot be used with some Nikon converters - they simply won't fit [rear element of lens can hit the foremost element in the converter]).

I only have a cheapish converter - a Teleplus 1.5x - and find that I get better results from cropping un-converted images. Like I said though, it was a cheap converter! Plenty of pros use them behind expensive glass so they can't all be bad.

Hi Nod,

Sorry for the lack of detail. I have a D80 and have bought a Teleplus MC7 2X N-AF D converter.

I'm new to this so only have type G lenses.

Does this help?

Comus

Thanks guys.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'matched'.
I take it that if my lenses aren't matched then they simply won't fit properly?

Comus

OK, before mounting any lens on the converter, look and see if you think there's any chance of the innards of one meeting the innards of the other. If you think there's a chance, be VERY careful! With the lens off, play with the focus and zoom to see what settings give the most clearance, then at that setting, if you're sure there will be no innards contact, mate the lens to the converter.

BTW, have a look at http://www.europe-nikon.com/family/en_GB/categories/broad/27.html and you'll see that the front elements of the Nikon teleconverters protrude. If the 2x Teleplus one does, then I wouldn't try to fit a lens to it unless I was 120% sure there was NO chance of innard conflict!.

Once you've got the converter fitted, see what the results are like. Good Luck!

Thanks guys.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'matched'.
I take it that if my lenses aren't matched then they simply won't fit properly?

Comus

Some manufacturers make converters that work VERY well with some of their lenses - generally the better ones (lenses and converters). Pairings like that are "matched" and give very good results.

One other thing to consider when using slower lenses with converters is the loss of light - 2 stops with a 2x converter, so a lens with a maximum aperture of f/5.6 will drop to f/11 which can cause problems with AF and make the viewfinder quite dark not to mention the slower shutter speeds. Less of a problem with bright sunlight.

:bang: After cursing myself for buying a converter that in no way appeared to fit my lenses, i turned it round and realised that I was looking at the end that connects to the body!

It fits, so I'll start playing.

Thanks, Guys.:bonk::nuts:

Back