XH558 - Vulcan ***edit added***

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a couple of photos that I shot today of the only Airworthy Avro Vulcan as it performed a low fly past at Coventry's Airport this afternoon, such an amazing aircraft that is always a pleasure to see in the air

Showing off her elegant wing shape from below also showing off the paint job :D

Avro Vulcan - XH558 - Coventry - CVT - 29/9/2012 #1 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

With this one as the aircraft banks in front of a little bit of cloud this one just seemed to suit a conversion to B&W (y)

Avro Vulcan - XH558 - Coventry - CVT - 29/9/2012 #2 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

***Edit of #2***

Vulcan - XH558 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I've really tweaked and done a proper B&W (y) I've adjusted the contrast and clarity and I'm quite pleased with the overall effect, I've not cropped this but I'm tempted to crop from the top and left :thinking:

As with all my photo's commments and critique are welcomed and appreciated (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
I like both of these, the b&w conversion is nice, there's an old Vulcan at the air museum in Sunderland. The fuselage is all scraped and the exhausts at the back are flat on the bottom as the wings got so much snow on them one winter the plan tipped backover and the nose was raked right up!

nickjohnwatson said:
I like both of these, the b&w conversion is nice, there's an old Vulcan at the air museum in Sunderland. The fuselage is all scraped and the exhausts at the back are flat on the bottom as the wings got so much snow on them one winter the plan tipped backover and the nose was raked right up!

Thanks they are such an amazing aircraft that it's a pleasure to see this one in the air even though at 6am I was still sat in A&E :( its a shame about your local example, if you ever down my area we have a rather complete version that you can go into the cockpit on (y)

Matt

Bernie174 said:
Number 1's nice. Can't help thinking number 2 would be far better in colour.
Bernie

Thanks for the comments (y) I could have a look at doing a colour version (y) it just seems to suit a conversion because of the fact that it was backed by rather dull cloud :(

Love 1 but I feel 2 merges into the background too much.

Both nice and sharp though.

Mikesphotaes said:
Love 1 but I feel 2 merges into the background too much.

Both nice and sharp though.

Thanks Mike I think out of these two the colour was my favourite I also have a different on that I posted as my POTD :)

Lovely Images and I Have some shots of it too I was Photographing a Rugby Match and It did a Low flight bye!

ThatNikonGuy said:
Lovely Images and I Have some shots of it too I was Photographing a Rugby Match and It did a Low flight bye!

Thanks :) now thats what you call lucky timing for you :D some of us nutters go hunting the Vulcan out :LOL:

Top one is the better out of the two, the second one is cropped far too tight. All moving objects whether natural (birds/animals) or man-made (cars/planes) still need room to move into.

Also, the second image isn't really mono, I can still see shades of red.

Tucker said:
Top one is the better out of the two, the second one is cropped far too tight. All moving objects whether natural (birds/animals) or man-made (cars/planes) still need room to move into.

Also, the second image isn't really mono, I can still see shades of red.

I hadn't noticed until I calibrated my screen again that my B&W was not quite right :bang: composition wise like any rule it's there to be broken ;)

Can't help thinking #2 would benefit from a bit more contrast, composition lovely though.

Joe

Can't help thinking #2 would benefit from a bit more contrast, composition lovely though.

Joe

I think that your right Joe, when I was first editing it I thought about going further with the contrast but didn't do it and the more I look at it the more I think it would improve the over all image (y)

To break the composition rule and get away with it you have to be good, this doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid.

Thanks for you expression of your opinion, it's been taken on board but it seems others than just me quite like the composition of the second, your never going to please everyone with photography ;)

Thanks for you expression of your opinion, it's been taken on board but it seems others than just me quite like the composition of the second, your never going to please everyone with photography ;)

We are all at different levels with our photography Matt! ;)

We are all at different levels with our photography Matt! ;)

Well that can be said about any skill, I know plenty of drivers that have had a driving licence for 20 years they're still not that good a driver though :LOL:

Great shots Matt, I really like the little hints of red in the second one, I would love to get some shots off like these.

Great Work mate

Matt

You need to practice what you preach Matt, that's all I'm saying.

Great shots Matt, I really like the little hints of red in the second one, I would love to get some shots off like these.

Great Work mate

Matt

Cheers mate, I'll be honest I didn't mean for the hint's of red, and it was something I hadn't noticed :bang: but I'm glad you like them :D

You need to practice what you preach Matt, that's all I'm saying.

I didn't know I was a preacher :LOL: I'm not that godly :LOL:

George / Tucker.....

Please could you enlighten me as to what is so wrong, in your opinion with pic no 2. You mention rules... but in photography there are suggestions on composition but no hard and fast rules.. as in every picture must comply with this...

I look at 2 and I like it... first thing I notice is the Vulcan is near enough as dammit on a diagonal (or is that a rule you are not aware of) .. yes I could crop it so it fitted perfectly, but in doing so... I may end up clipping something... as it is it's all in the frame and sharp...

If I am being hypocritical I would say the plane is a bit flat to the plane of the lens (oh what a pun!!) and therefore looks rather 2 dimensional, however , I am yet to work out a way of getting the pilot to dip the left wing, so the tog can get an epic shot...

Matt - I like em both... nothing wrong with either in my opinion, but I have in the last 5 days really got into portraiture... I am sure a lot of the aviation buffs will be along and offer their opinions...

George / Tucker.....

Please could you enlighten me as to what is so wrong, in your opinion with pic no 2. You mention rules... but in photography there are suggestions on composition but no hard and fast rules.. as in every picture must comply with this...

I look at 2 and I like it... first thing I notice is the Vulcan is near enough as dammit on a diagonal (or is that a rule you are not aware of) .. yes I could crop it so it fitted perfectly, but in doing so... I may end up clipping something... as it is it's all in the frame and sharp...

If I am being hypocritical I would say the plane is a bit flat to the plane of the lens (oh what a pun!!) and therefore looks rather 2 dimensional, however , I am yet to work out a way of getting the pilot to dip the left wing, so the tog can get an epic shot...

Matt - I like em both... nothing wrong with either in my opinion, but I have in the last 5 days really got into portraiture... I am sure a lot of the aviation buffs will be along and offer their opinions...

Thanks Lynton, I really would love the pilot to fly for the photographer but then there were a lot of us there so it could have got a little messy :LOL: :LOL:

Beautiful plane, and excellent shots of the plane. Any second now it's going to power up and the engine roar on these things is marvellous!

And that second shot should be framed and up on the Wing Commander's wall (would it be a wing commander? I know nothing of military hierarchy! ;) ) The crop/framing is fine - it's a portrait of the plane in my opinion, and as Lynton stated, there's many rules to be bent or even broken, but in doing you, often you will find yourself adhering to another rule. So all's good. :)

:)

Bend The Light said:
Beautiful plane, and excellent shots of the plane. Any second now it's going to power up and the engine roar on these things is marvellous!

And that second shot should be framed and up on the Wing Commander's wall (would it be a wing commander? I know nothing of military hierarchy! ;) ) The crop/framing is fine - it's a portrait of the plane in my opinion, and as Lynton stated, there's many rules to be bent or even broken, but in doing you, often you will find yourself adhering to another rule. So all's good. :)

:)

Thanks Craig, I'm pleased that you like them, totally agree if you break one rule often you'll be following another (y)

I've only just noticed these Matt
Very nice, very nice indeed (y)
#1 just about has the edge, if I were to choose, but its close, very close :)
In fact (I know you "screwed up" as always :p)
But I quite like the hint of red as well :)

And rules are definitely meant to be broken.
I do it all the time :)

Cobra said:
I've only just noticed these Matt
Very nice, very nice indeed (y)
#1 just about has the edge, if I were to choose, but its close, very close :)
In fact (I know you "screwed up" as always :p)
But I quite like the hint of red as well :)

And rules are definitely meant to be broken.
I do it all the time :)

Thanks Chris, I don't know what you mean always screwing up :LOL: I thought I was perfect :cautious: :exit:

I thing the first is my favourite too :)

I like the first image Matt, but the mono isn't doing it for me, I forgot it was coming to Coventry....! I was to busy getting all my jobs done before the Ryder Cup coverage

Cheffievrs said:
I like the first image Matt, but the mono isn't doing it for me, I forgot it was coming to Coventry....! I was to busy getting all my jobs done before the Ryder Cup coverage

Cheers Jason, I agree the mono isn't nearly as stronger image as the first :) I bet you enjoyed the Ryder cup, a great result even a non golfist like me can understand :D

Thanks Chris, I don't know what you mean always screwing up :LOL: I thought I was perfect :cautious: :exit:

Well you are perfectly "something"
I've not quite figured out what though :p

Cobra said:
Well you are perfectly "something"
I've not quite figured out what though :p

:LOL: well I'm sure you'll let me know once you worked it out :D it would be good if someone could as I'm not having any joy :(

Hazza said:
Really like the second shot but as Joe has mentioned it's a bit flat.

Thanks, I think a boost of contrast may help it :thinking: when I'm at the computer later I'll give it a go (y)

I've been away and had a play with the original of number two, I've still gone down the B&W route and done it correctly this time :cautious: this is framed exactly as it was in camera mainly because I couldn't decide if I wanted to crop it a little or not as this newly processed image shows off the exhaust quite nicely and allows a little room for flying into, that said I'm tempted to crop a little off the top and LHS :D

Vulcan - XH558 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

IMO the Monochrome works well on this subject, I like the edited version Matt , more of a natural feel to it I think.

Atb

Vince

Thanks Vince, I was almost tempted to and I may still do a bit of a funky vintage edit of one of these, but if I do I will post that in a different thread :D

Matt

Back