Beginner Xmas present lens

Edit My Images
No
So I think I have narrowed it down to these 2ish Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) , sigma 17-50mm f2.8 os hsm etc and maybe the equivalent is sigma of the 28 75 and the tamron 17 50 which ever I can find at the best price and value for money . I'm open to suggestions or even lenses for shooting indoors garden kids family Etc

definitely one of the 17-50s on crop ... the other two are two narrow on the short end on a crop camera - i have the non VC model of the tamron 17-50 and its an excellent lens , ive never used the sigma 17-50 so i can't comment on how it compares

On the D5200 make sure you get a copy that has the built in focus motor as i believe the Tamron come in 2 different flavours (17-50mm f2.8 definetly does), with and without, not sure about the Sigmas though

on the sigma - hsm stands for hyper sonic motor , so that lens will have a motor built in..

Very new but done a lot of talking to people and research when looking for a new lens to partner my 70-300mm sigma.
Looked at canons 18-55 and tamron 17-50 as is my research the equivalent sigma was not as good regarding IQ.
The canon v tamron was a close one but the Tamron (non IS) won, although 50% dearer. I was advised that either would make me a happy man but the canon didn't hold a constant aperture though out range and just wasn't quite as good. The tamron ticked all boxes at the price range.
The tamron IS version apparently drops down a bit in IQ.
I now have a reasonable starter kit to cover most things and now can look at which genre I end up enjoying most.

I vote tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non stabilised. As I've fallen in love with mine.

Last edited:
I also have the tamron 17-50 non vc non BIM for my D90, but if the OP decides on the 17-50 tamron he will have to go for the one with the motor as the D5200 does not have a motor like the D90.

I've just got the Sigma 17-50 and I use it one my Canon 70d. Build quality is very good, and images sharp across the range.

Back