XMP file - what is it?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I shoot in raw then use elements 10 to convert to jpeg. Once I convert to jpeg from raw I save as, I then end up with 3 files which are jpeg, raw and lastly xmp.

What is an xmp file, all I do at the moment is delete the file? As I can see no use for the file.

Thanks

The XMP file is the record of all the changes you made to the RAW file. If it is left in the same folder as the RAW file it belongs to, then you can go back at any time and continue editing from the point you last edited it. If you delete the XMP file, then when you open up the RAW file you will start from the default state.

The XMP file is the record of all the changes you made to the RAW file. If it is left in the same folder as the RAW file it belongs to, then you can go back at any time and continue editing from the point you last edited it. If you delete the XMP file, then when you open up the RAW file you will start from the default state.

I was going to say something similar, but you have worded it a lot better than me. (y)

To add a bit more, if you ever want to move you image files around your computer, do it from within your processing application. That way all the relevant files get moved and will stay together.
If you move just the image files using your computer's own file manager you'll break the link between the files and your processing application won't be able to find the additional ones which go with the image file.

Or convert all your Raw fils to DNGs using the Adobe DNG Converter and do away with xmp files altogether.

What is the benefits of converting to DNG over Jpeg apart from not getting the xmp file.

A lot of the photos I take, end up on my facebook page, which is dd discotheque if anyone wants to have a look and like it.

If they were in DNG format would they load ok in facebook or would I have to convert them into jpeg again.

Also thanks for all the answers guys.

DNGs are a bit smaller than RAWs. But no xmp files is the main reason I use them. Makes it so much easier managing just the one file.

But they aren't small enough to be uploading to FB, and I'm not sure FB would accept them [?]. You would still have to convert them to jpgs.

DNGs are a bit smaller than RAWs. But no xmp files is the main reason I use them. Makes it so much easier managing just the one file.

But they aren't small enough to be uploading to FB, and I'm not sure FB would accept them [?]. You would still have to convert them to jpgs.

Yep, must admit I spend a bit of time getting rid of them. I take it from your post it is not something I could turn off somewhere?

Yep, must admit I spend a bit of time getting rid of them. I take it from your post it is not something I could turn off somewhere?

In the Elements Raw converter click on the tab at the top with the three dots and dashes and in the drop down menu change it from XMP sidecar file to Camera Raw database and you will have no more XMP files generated.

143703269.jpg

Back