XMP files what are the point of them in CS3 ??

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
Could someone please explain what the point is of XMP files in CS3, when i download photos to my PC using adobe bridge i sometimes get these in a blue box with an exclamation mark, strange how they only show sometimes though, anyway how do i stop them being copied as all i do is delete them,and to be honest i just find them a pain in the arse although i'm sure they must serve some purpose :shrug:

They are the "sidecar" files to RAW files... They contain all the adjustments that you make to RAW files, rather than overwriting the original files, so if you delete the XMP files, you'll delete any changes you've made to the raw.

:)

Ok thanks Mattyh, but how do you open them, because when i try opening them in CS3 nothing shows up ??

You don't open them, they are opened by CS3 automatically when you open the raw file, they just contain the adjustments which would proberbly be meaninless.

Ok thanks guys, one more thing how come they don't always show up ie i downloaded photos the other day and they showed up, downloaded somemore today and there were no XMP files, this quite often happens :shrug:

Could it be they're only showing up on photos you've edited?

No i downloaded some on saturday from CF card to PC through a card reader, i had RAW and JPEG fine(i shoot both) and XMP showing, but sometimes it just shows the RAW and JPEG and nothing else, this is what i can't understand :thinking:

The easy solution to XMP files is to convert RAWs to DNG on import, that way the RAW image data and the "processing data" are embedded in the same file.

FWIW with Lightroom you can choose to write the processing to the XMP/DNG files rather than only leave them in the database...

Back