XT-3 video focus problem

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
I have just tried shooting some video for a project I am doing at work, the problem was it was a bright day and I had to use a small aperture to stick with my 60th SS. It would appear that at anything smaller than F9.0 the focus hunts in and out constantly, and this get worse the smaller it gets. Is this a known issue, or something I am doing wrong. I have ordered an ND filter to help keep my aperture larger, but I wasn't aware of this limitation.

That's great, as I also have a Crane 3 which is not supported at the moment. :)

I think the problem is not enough high contrast light for the AF to work. You don't get this problem with stills as the camera focuses wide open then stops down when you actually take the shot. I don't think adding ND will help this problem as you will still be allowing the same amount of light into the camera. Your best options are to lower your ISO, you might have to use the extended ISO settings or raise your shutter speed. You can shoot at 60fps and 120th if you want to maintain a 180 degree shutter angle. Your other option would be to manually focus on the hyper focal distance. At f/9 you probably wouldn't have to focus much.

I generally shoot outside with ND though as it allows you to use a wider aperture.

I think the problem is not enough high contrast light for the AF to work. You don't get this problem with stills as the camera focuses wide open then stops down when you actually take the shot. I don't think adding ND will help this problem as you will still be allowing the same amount of light into the camera. Your best options are to lower your ISO, you might have to use the extended ISO settings or raise your shutter speed. You can shoot at 60fps and 120th if you want to maintain a 180 degree shutter angle. Your other option would be to manually focus on the hyper focal distance. At f/9 you probably wouldn't have to focus much.

I generally shoot outside with ND though as it allows you to use a wider aperture.
Hi, thanks for the reply, the thing is that this only began happening after the latest FW update. My H1 or even XP2 don't do the same, it is pretty disappointing to have this on the T3.

Back