Yak's might fly... [ESFC (Tatenhill) Fly-in] - Looking for C+C

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

Well, I got my new toy on Monday (100-400L :D), and after a quick play on Wednesday, this was its first official outing!

I had never done any proper airshow photography before, although I did quite enjoy myself, so I'm not ruling out doing it again!

I picked up lots of tips from various parts of this forum before going (so thanks for that guys and gals (y)), and I'm superbly pleased with the lens [although there is some dirt/dust somewhere in the setup, which I need to find :(], I find it's just the body behind that causes the problem :nuts:

Nonetheless, I'd love to improve so all comments gratefully received. I have PP'd these more than I normally would, and I suspect this will lead to the majority of the comments. Some of these are crops from the original, so framing comments would be appreciated, although where the plane is missing bits, chances are that's where it moved too fast for me!

#6 - and just to show that it wasn't just Gennadiy Elfimov showing off in his Yak-52, Mark Jefferies turned up in this rather spiffing Extra 330SC

C+C appreciated.

Last edited:
The Extra is nice have you seen Gerry Cooper fly his rather special one (lightest in the world) now that is special to see

No, and whilst it's probably pretty cool, I'm not sure I'd want to try and photograph it - it's bad enough with this sod who just as you line up a shot suddenly screams off in the opposite direction - most of my shots missed the plane 'til I gave up with the full zoom! :LOL:

It was good fun trying though... :D

Some excellent shots here, really. 3, 5 and 6 are my faves. You have some serious dust spots needing sorted!!

Gary.

Cheers Gary - I love your photos, so the comment means a lot - I was starting to wonder if they were really that bad, as no-one had commented on them!

On another note, I have isolated the dust spots and, sure enough, they're on the sensor, but I don't think I've quite built up the courage [and patience!] to do the home-made version that's on here, so may have to resort to a local camera shop!

Beyond "Les lapins de la poussiere" (dust bunnies...), is there anything else that you'd do to improve 3, 5 and 6? I know what I'd change with 1, 2, and 4 [too tight, not enough interest (as from just below), and too tight again...], but would appreciate hearing what could be improved with the others as well :shrug:

Thanks for taking the effort to look and comment though! (y)

Back