Yashica 15mm f2.8 ml (Fungus issue)

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys i have a beautiful old Yashica 15mm which used to take stunning photos. Haven't used it for 5-10 years and came back to it to find one of the internal filters has developed some haze on it which looks like the start of fungus. It's strange because the rest of the lens seems to be completely free of fungus!

This lens seems to be pretty rare and hard to get hold of, and seems to be worth repairing.

Took it to the real camera shop in Manchester the other day and they didn't know how to get into it. Looks like the filters sit right behind the front element. I've no idea how to take the front element off and have tried.

...a quote from Seandean Cameras in Soho in London was £299 to have it cleaned repaired which is an absurd amount of money.

Does anyone know of anyone to send the lens to on a "last try" basis, before i give up hope with it.

I would send Miles Whitehead an email to ask how much he would do it for, as you probably know he's done work on a lot of the cameras, lenses etc that we have around here. He did a top quality job on my Spotmatic F when he CLA'd it and for a much lower price than several other businesses quoted. I've read some reviews about him by others that have mentioned him removing fungus from lenses successfully.

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/

+1 on Miles Whitehead. Never hurts to ask for a repair estimation - just try to be detailed so he knows exactly what work he is likely to need to do.

you could try booking it in for a sun bed for 1/2 and hour ? :shrug:

I'd stick it on a camera and take some shots...if you are happy with the results just keep the lens in a dry place and it wont get worse although it's worth remembering that some fungus can etch the glass.

Back