Yashica 24 question

Name
Neal
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Yashica 24 coming up soon at a local auction to me with a very cheap start price. As tlr`s go is this one worth a punt, i`ve fancied a tlr for a while.
What do I need to check on it prior to buying?
Thanks.

Ideally, avoid it. They were designed for 220 film (thus the '24', as the '12' was for 120 film - refers to the number of shots per roll), which is scarce, expensive and often more difficult to have developed. Additionally, compared to the number of choices for emulsions in 120, there are few in 220 and they are diminishing by the year.

Online there are people who have used shims and other modifications to run 120 film through their 24s successfully, but these are very much DIY solutions for what is otherwise a very nice paperweight.

Not put off? Check both viewing and taking lens. For the taking lens, put the aperture to the widest setting and shutter speed to bulb, and look through the back whilst the shutter is held open. Like any camera glass, ideally free of haze & fungus. Slow speeds often suffer on old TLRs, so check 1 second, 1/2s etc.

Is 220 not the same width as 120 but simply twice the length of film??.....If I'm correct then will a standard 120 film not fit in the camera and simply offer 12 frames as against 24 ??

Found a little bit of info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/120_film

I would suggest doing some googling to see what is feasable (if anything).......Just about any camera can be made to produce an image if only by using cut sheet film and obtaining one shot at a time but it all depends what you want from the camera.

Last edited:
Back