Yashica 35 35mm rangefinder filter thread.

Edit My Images
No
just picked one of these. Miss my Leica and the prices are too high to justify so thought I’d try it.
I can’t seem to find any information about the filter thread size, if it even has one. I usually like to leave a uv filter on to protect the glass, especially on a fixed lens camera.
IMG_5263.jpeg

I have never seen one of these -ever, can you enlighten us with a bit more information? Shutter type etc.

Honestly I wouldn't bother - greater risk of flare & other trouble. Use a cap and / or a hood.
I probably will get a hood to be honest. I was looking on amazon and screw on hoods are pretty cheap

I have never seen one of these -ever, can you enlighten us with a bit more information? Shutter type etc.
So I believe its Yashicas first ever 35mm camera. I think I read its a copy of a Contax due the high price of Contax in Japan...I'm not sure. But its a fixed lens 45mm f 2.8 rangefinder that also came in a f1.9. Fully manual being from I think 1958 or the late 50's. Max shutter speed of 1/500

A quick search on Camera-Wiki,org cam up with this information:-

The Yashica 35 is in fact the company's first camera that was entirely manufactured by themselves, right after they acquired the Nicca company who is responsible for the production of the 35's predecessors, the YE and YF. While the YF is a Leica copy, the classic design of the 35 resembles that of the Contax models. It was marketed between 1958 and 1960.

The 35 has a Copal MXV shutter with a range from B to 1/500 and a coupled rangefinder. The lens assembly is fixed and Yashica sold the 35 with 2 different lenses: the common Yashinon 45mm f/2.8 and a much rarer 45mm f/1.9. Both lenses deliver high quality pictures.

On top of the camera is a frame counter and a cold shoe for the use of flashes, as it doesn't have a built-in lightmeter there is no need for batteries.

This is a very well built camera with a great amount of quality feel to it.

It does answer your question about interchangeable lenses because the lens is fixed and the shutter is a Copal MXV between the lens type. It does look very nice and very usable.

Last edited:
A quick search on Camera-Wiki,org cam up with this information:-

The Yashica 35 is in fact the company's first camera that was entirely manufactured by themselves, right after they acquired the Nicca company who is responsible for the production of the 35's predecessors, the YE and YF. While the YF is a Leica copy, the classic design of the 35 resembles that of the Contax models. It was marketed between 1958 and 1960.

The 35 has a Copal MXV shutter with a range from B to 1/500 and a coupled rangefinder. The lens assembly is fixed and Yashica sold the 35 with 2 different lenses: the common Yashinon 45mm f/2.8 and a much rarer 45mm f/1.9. Both lenses deliver high quality pictures.

On top of the camera is a frame counter and a cold shoe for the use of flashes, as it doesn't have a built-in lightmeter there is no need for batteries.

This is a very well built camera with a great amount of quality feel to it.

It does answer your question about interchangeable lenses because the lens is fixed and the shutter is a Copal MXV between the lens type. It does look very nice.
fingers crossed its nice. The seller is a ebay shop that accepts returns anyway so I'll test it out. My only reservation is that its a clickless aperture ring which I usually dont like too much.

Get a vented hood so that you can see through it - less viewfinder blockage. Though it's just possible that the thread's an odd (hard-to-find) size. Maybe try Jack the Hat.

fingers crossed its nice. The seller is a ebay shop that accepts returns anyway so I'll test it out. My only reservation is that its a clickless aperture ring which I usually dont like too much.
If it works and it is in fact rare, being one of the 1st cameras made under the Yashica name, it may have collectors value. To get an idea can I suggest checking with Peter Loy.com who has premises in London but just google Peter Loy

Get a vented hood so that you can see through it - less viewfinder blockage. Though it's just possible that the thread's an odd (hard-to-find) size. Maybe try Jack the Hat.
The only clue I've seen so far is another one selling in Japan that comes with a 46mm filter. You'd think that that would mean thats the thread size but theres no photo of the camera with the filter screwed on

The only clue I've seen so far is another one selling in Japan that comes with a 46mm filter. You'd think that that would mean thats the thread size but theres no photo of the camera with the filter screwed on
46mm thread is quite normal. It is one step down from 49 (apart from a 48mm used on some digital point and shoot made by Fuji the X 20 for instance) 46mm was also used on some Mamiyaflex lenses so will be easy to find.

The question about the non click stop aperture may be a throwback to earlier technology a generation before, because I cannot think of a folding camera that has click stopped aperture settings. A little quirk, but that does not make it unusable. Just a personal preference.

The question about the non click stop aperture may be a throwback to earlier technology a generation before, because I cannot think of a folding camera that has click stopped aperture settings. A little quirk, but that does not make it unusable. Just a personal preference.
Yea I’ve used clickless apertures before. I had a canon 7 with a Jupiter lens that was clickless. It was fine, just made it a tiny bit slower. When I used to have a Leica m2 I would use a lightmeter to get the right exposure for the darkest shadow and the brightest highlight then guess the inbetween. It was only usually between f2-f11 so with the clicks you could adjust it without looking down. Providing I remembered what f stop I’d left it on

Last edited:
Camera just arrived. It’s nice but I think it has fungus in the viewfinder. Going to have to send it back, was no mention of it. Shame, it feels nice in the hand. IMG_5277.jpeg

What a shame. Not everyone recognises fungus . so it may have gone un-noticed. Apart from that what does it sound like when you fire the shutter?

What a shame. Not everyone recognises fungus . so it may have gone un-noticed. Apart from that what does it sound like when you fire the shutter?
Quiet, largely just a click. It’s nice to use. My only criticism is the aperture ring is pretty thing and fairly smooth, makes changing the aperture fairly tricky considering it also has the shutter speed ring on the lens.

Check out the Rank-Mamiya also known as the Mamiya Ruby and Mamiya 4B. They are very similar to that Yashica and feature Sekor optics and a very quiet leaf shutter. They are very well made cameras and can sell for £30 or less. They also have a selenium meter. Mine is still accurate. I bought it around 1995 for £5 from Cash Converters.

Check out the Rank-Mamiya also known as the Mamiya Ruby and Mamiya 4B. They are very similar to that Yashica and feature Sekor optics and a very quiet leaf shutter. They are very well made cameras and can sell for £30 or less. They also have a selenium meter. Mine is still accurate. I bought it around 1995 for £5 from Cash Converters.
I’ll keep an eye out. In a way the fungus did me a favour, I don’t really need another camera. I have the ricoh 500g which whilst it is a bit plasticky my one works fully so it has the shutter priority mode. I just missed the Leica thing but really I don’t think that itched will be scratched with anything apart from another leica and there is no way I’m spending that kind of money

I have a Ricoh 500 too :)

The RM is a much nicer camera imo. Much better viewfinder, easier to set up the aperture and shutter speed, no battery and nicer in the hand. I used to have Contax 1 and 2 as well as the earlier II model. The RM is a good, cheap substitute.

I have a Ricoh 500 too :)

The RM is a much nicer camera imo. Much better viewfinder, easier to set up the aperture and shutter speed, no battery and nicer in the hand. I used to have Contax 1 and 2 as well as the earlier II model. The RM is a good, cheap substitute.
I just want to get a lens tab for it so I can focus with 1 finger.

I’ll definitely keep an eye out on eBay. A few years about I used film exclusively and could justify having expensive cameras, that’s long gone now.
There’s something more satisfying about finding a good cheap camera anyway

Back