Yashica Mat and a holiday in Scotland

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Quality work Andy, liking the square format. No's 1,5 & 6 for me. The light in the last one is fantastic. And just to be awkward, because I can, what does No 5 look like in b&w?

Bar the first one, the colours look a bit muted for ektar to me, I'm liking your compositions but i think number 5 could have benefited you being a few metres to your right so that you could see the mountain/hill/thing behind the tree completely

It might be me but the lower 1/3 of the first image looks a bit odd focus wise?

Anyway, i'm liking the set (y) feel free to ignore my little nitpicks

Quality work Andy, liking the square format. No's 1,5 & 6 for me. The light in the last one is fantastic. And just to be awkward, because I can, what does No 5 look like in b&w?

Thank you Nick, I'm quite pleased with more than I expected to be pleased with.

And No. 5 looks like this in b&w

Lochan2 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Bar the first one, the colours look a bit muted for ektar to me, I'm liking your compositions but i think number 5 could have benefited you being a few metres to your right so that you could see the mountain/hill/thing behind the tree completely

It might be me but the lower 1/3 of the first image looks a bit odd focus wise?

Anyway, i'm liking the set (y) feel free to ignore my little nitpicks

Cheers Robbinio. 1 and 6 are straight from the scan (pretty much) but the other colour shots have been run through Topaz b&w which has a transparency slider to allow some of the colour back into the image. I slid it all the way over and then boosted the saturation a little in PSE9. This allows me to have more control over the colour but doesn't seem to add any noise.

In the 5th one a move to the right would have been ideal apart from the 10 foot deep water. :D

I think its just the very low pov in the 1st image that's making the focus look strange.

My-Arse by andysnapper1, on Flickr

As you can see it was a very low point of view. :LOL:

Andy

I really like 2, 5 and 6. The last one is awesome with the colour of the light. The OOF foreground in number 1 just didn't work for me, although I did like the top bit. I agree about the position of the tree, but perhaps it was one of those cases where you just can't get everything right without falling off a cliff, into a bog, or introducing some other element! BW also worked a bit better. Fantastic set, though.

The "rear view" image shows you were hand holding; I did wonder how you found the Yash Mat on a jaunt like that. It's not the most portable of cameras, is it?

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm beginning to agree about No 1, I think a crop is in order.

Actually I didn't have any real problems carrying the Yash about. I've managed to attach a nice wide, padded neck strap to it and generally I didn't need to walk too far to get decent shots so no real problems.

Andy

Andy, nice shots! Some of the more foliage heavy ones are looking oversharpened to me. 1st and last are my faves though.

I have said this before and now again. Andy you really do get the best out of that camera, very good indeed, a joy to look at and by the way what a great holiday destination.(y)

That 6th shot is mesmerising! Love it.. I'd love to do this type of stuff - but living in the big ol London isnt helpful!

Is this the world of ND filters and wide angle lenses? I need to do som eresearch and learn new techniques.

Thanks Mel. This actually the World of medium format 80mm lenses and no grads but grads are a real boon to landscape photography. You don't need to go to far from that London to get good landscapes, South Downs, Kent coast, some lovely areas to explore.

I have said this before and now again. Andy you really do get the best out of that camera, very good indeed, a joy to look at and by the way what a great holiday destination.(y)

Thank you Richard, I am slowly getting to grips with the Yash but I still get far to many duffers.
As to the destination, I could quite happily live on the west coast of Scotland, every day is different and the light....wow.

Andy

fantastic camera work wonderful pictures thank you for sharing.

Cheers Scott. Still learning really but I am getting a bit better I think.

Andy

Back