Yashica Mat Service

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I would like to send a Yashica Mat off for a service, this is my fathers camera which has not been used since the 80's and I've requested quotes from;

Miles Whitehead,
Black on White,
Newton Ellis & Co

Are there any others that I should consider or stay away from?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason, I don't know Black on White but I have used both Newton Ellis and Miles Whitehead both of whom were very good. Newton Ellis were a bit slow and a little expensive but did a cracking job, Miles Whitehead is highly regarded on here and rightly so, top bloke. He can sometimes be a bit busy so you may have to wait a little while but he always does a good job at a reasonable price.

Andy

^^^^^^^

Correct.

I can't comment on Black on White, which I've never even heard of, but the other two are top notch.

Miles has repaired or serviced quite a few camera/lenses for me (e.g., Bronica SQ-A, Bronica PS 80mm, Minolta Autocord, Hasselblad 2000FC, etc.). He's both good and reasonably priced.

Ian at Newton Ellis recently repaired my SL66E and he did a very thorough job. The comprehensiveness of the work meant that it did take a week or two longer than I previously estimated, but he kept me informed all the way through and the work was to a very high standard. When repaired properly, these cameras can function for many years, so waiting an extra week or two for high-quality work is worth it.

Out of curiosity, is there a ballpark price for a service? Or does it vary wildly with the model of camera? I've been thinking of sending my 500c/m off for a service (back has funny spacing and the lens or screen are out on focus), but I've no idea whether it'll cost £50 or £500!

I had my 500CW serviced in London and it was £300. I had my 500CM serviced by Miles and it was £65.00.

No difference after the fact at all.

After a little more searching and your comments I think I'll opt for Miles Whitehead this time.

Thanks All.

+1 for Miles. He's fixed cameras and lenses for me and done a great job each time.

Does Brian Mickleboro service cameras other than Rollei? Just wondering.

Out of curiosity, is there a ballpark price for a service? Or does it vary wildly with the model of camera? I've been thinking of sending my 500c/m off for a service (back has funny spacing and the lens or screen are out on focus), but I've no idea whether it'll cost £50 or £500!

Miles has serviced my Hasselblad camera and back previously and I think he charged about £65. I didn't have any spacing problems though, so I'm not sure if that would change things.

I gave Miles my 500CM, three lenses and three backs to service before I went on holiday the year before last (was it really so long ago?) because I didn't want to get to Venice only to find a problem and he did a cracking job. I don't recall the exact amount charged but it was around £250, which included a CLA on another camera and lens. I wouldn't bother going to anyone else.

Miles emailed me today to say that he's received the camera, all things point to him providing a good service.

Back