Yesterday in the garden - cricket nymph

Love these crickets... never seen one.

Are the close up ones crops or as shot? Am saying this as they are rather bright and light is little more harsh on them this is a issue that Icy has too. :D

So which super cool Macro photographer helped you find them @TimmyG ???? lmao :p
Nah, we don't get these things up in the grim North. Still, if you all keep spraying deodorant and dumping your fridges in landfill, we might see some in the next few years ;)

Nick, #3 is about the right balance of subject/environment for my tastes, but number 7 is the stand out performer for interesting composition.

Last edited:
A really great series of images Nick, with some fine detail. #3, & #7, are my favs'.(y)

George.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Are the close up ones crops or as shot? Am saying this as they are rather bright and light is little more harsh on them this is a issue that Icy has too. :D

The crops were compositional. All of them use most of the frame.

It is quite possibly a diffusion issue, but there may be a post processing factor too, for two reasons. Since Alf's comment about filling gaps in the histogram I've been making the images brighter, and possibly too much so in some cases. I also used a different processing workflow for these, testing out DXO optics for the first time. I ran the images through DXO before using Lightroom. The main aim was to tackle noise, which is a severe issue with the FZ200 and can be troublesome even at base ISO, especially if I'm lifting shadows, which I do quite a lot. However, DXO did some other stuff too, in particular its "Smart lighting". It's early days. If I do carry on using DXO I may turn the Smart lighting down, or off.

Back