Yesterday's rugby with new 40D

kelack

TPer Emerita - But she's back!
Name
Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, how much fun did I have yesterday! Can't believe what a difference having a faster lens and camera it makes.

Here's a pick of a few that I took, have played with the cropping a bit and lightened a few others (not used to all the settings yet, need to sit down with a cup of Bovril and read the manual :D ). Also straightened a few as it looked like I was on a slope. Will get a spirit level

tfl

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

(Have I cropped this too much though?)

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

(Didn't crop his legs, just got it wrong, he's too fast!)

i actually really like no.8 except for the ford focus in the background, the opposing player in the foreground looks dejected after missing a tackle while the scoring team appear to be looking and laughing at him. Great!

wow, thats a superb improvement, the investment in the new toys paid off :clap: :clap: :clap:

and you're getting better too (y)

next you're going to need to spend a fortune on frames and picture hooks :D

are you the official team tog yet? ;)

They all look good to me :)

Only thing I'd suggest is a small fold up stool so you get down to a lower view point as these all look a bit from too high up.

1,5 & 9 I think are the best of the bunch
The dof and the movement on number 1 (& he looks like he is getting away) great shot (y)
number 5 you can see the crunching tackle, the dof on the main subject in my opinion is spot on.
finally 9 he driving for that line and nothing is going to stop him.... great set of action shots (y)
and the answer to your question...... the cropping is spot on the shots for me tell a story
I like them :woot:

What a cracking series of images, loads of energy and tack sharp.

Good work :)

What a great set...

They're all superb, the big bosh tackle in #5 is the stand out for me.

Can I ask what lens you were using?

good shots, and echo the comment above on shutter speed, good work!

Good shots, just started to do more rugby shots myself after giving up 'reffing'. Loved the 2 fatboys in #4, the look on their faces, you can just see them thinking stop running FFS.
Well done, nice action shots. When you have the time try a few shots from behind the dead ball line, its the only place you can really get players running towards you but be prepared to be low as players dive in....

Dunc

i actually really like no.8 except for the ford focus in the background, the opposing player in the foreground looks dejected after missing a tackle while the scoring team appear to be looking and laughing at him. Great!

Thanks. I know I thought that as I saw it today and thought,mmmmm could do with some cloning out. I have to say that our opposition put up a good fight and there was no way we laughed at them. They were top of the table with us 2nd and yesterday's game put us top, that try was one of the ones that sealed it.

wow, thats a superb improvement, the investment in the new toys paid off :clap: :clap: :clap:

and you're getting better too (y)

next you're going to need to spend a fortune on frames and picture hooks :D

are you the official team tog yet? ;)

Thanks very much Wookie, glad that there is improvement, I'm quite chuffed with yesterday's pics, and glad I invested.

I've been the one and only tog up there for about 5 years now :LOL:

They all look good to me

Only thing I'd suggest is a small fold up stool so you get down to a lower view point as these all look a bit from too high up.

Thanks. Trouble is, wouldn't get back off of it :LOL: I do have my shooting stick which I sit on cos of my leg but as I'm quite a short arse, I'm surprised they look high up :LOL:

1,5 & 9 I think are the best of the bunch
The dof and the movement on number 1 (& he looks like he is getting away) great shot
number 5 you can see the crunching tackle, the dof on the main subject in my opinion is spot on.
finally 9 he driving for that line and nothing is going to stop him.... great set of action shots
and the answer to your question...... the cropping is spot on the shots for me tell a story
I like them

Thanks, never quite sure how much to crop

What a cracking series of images, loads of energy and tack sharp.

Good work

Thanks Les, I have my kit to thank mostly though :D

What a great set...

They're all superb, the big bosh tackle in #5 is the stand out for me.

Can I ask what lens you were using?

My new one :LOL: It's a Sigma f2.8 70-200 ( and again thanks to Kerso :D)

I think using iso 800 and 1/500 or better would yield slightly better results.
Still, not bad.

Thanks Slapo, I was far too excited to get out there and take pics, I'd had the camera and lens a total of 2 hours before the game started :LOL:

good shots, and echo the comment above on shutter speed, good work!

Thanks Andy :D

Good shots, just started to do more rugby shots myself after giving up 'reffing'. Loved the 2 fatboys in #4, the look on their faces, you can just see them thinking stop running FFS.
Well done, nice action shots. When you have the time try a few shots from behind the dead ball line, its the only place you can really get players running towards you but be prepared to be low as players dive in....

Dunc

Thanks. Trouble is, tried that before and they all go down the other end of the pitch, sods law so I've been "banned" from doing it :LOL: And Vigo players diving in, you'll be lucky :LOL::LOL::LOL: I've always has the dream of them flying mid-air over the line but I have no chance with our lot. A lot of the tries that we score are pushover tries and we rely on the refs to let the spectators know that we've scored. You can get an idea of our matches with our reports, just google Vigo RFC

But to say thank you all very much for your comments, I had lost a little of my confidence slightly with some of my shots but yesterday built it back up again.

Anyway, going to go as watching the Toulouse v Leicester game and can't do 2 things at once, just felt I had to come on and thank you all. I'm very humbled :)

Those are great shots, composition, subject, your right in there with the mud blood and guts, even if it is a girls game:)
Why are you shooting f/4.5 with an f/2.8 lens, you wont loose much dof at 200mm @ f/2.8, well nothin worth mentioning anyway.
At 2.8 the shutter will be faster and your gonna freeze the action more on a decent day than shutting it down in app priority to f/4.5.
Constructive suggestion...

At 2.8 the shutter will be faster and your gonna freeze the action more on a decent day than shutting it down in app priority to f/4.5.

that's been said a couple of times, "freeze the action" BUT I reckon Kelack is getting a nice style of shot as it is, running just slow enough to get limb blur, adds motion to the shots. I like them as they stand.

Great action shots . just goes to show the good focus tracking on the canon.

Thanks Athos :D

Those are great shots, composition, subject, your right in there with the mud blood and guts, even if it is a girls game:)
Cheeky!!! :LOL:

Why are you shooting f/4.5 with an f/2.8 lens, you wont loose much dof at 200mm @ f/2.8, well nothin worth mentioning anyway.

Which ones were 4.5? I started the game on Av then played around with Tv so if it's the ones later on (8,9 & 10), I think those weere Tv, not sure without being able to see them on my home computer

And thanks very much for the rating guys, I'm well chuffed :D:D

Theres something to be said for blurr to excentuate movement in a shot, however, I like to see sweat/muck just hanging there in mid air, if its possible which it isn't always.
Need to lose a couple of players, make it a blokes game:D

Yes the last three ar f/3.2 and f/2.8, the light must have been fading cos shutter speed is no faster.
dunno what Av & Tv are, just try it on aperture priority, and set the aperture to f/2.8 iso 400, the camera will do everything else, you can always move to something else.
Its just....its a fast lens, shame not to take advantage of that.

Well done. I remember your despondant posts of blurry shots several months back.....what a difference a bit of decent kit makes eh?

Bob

MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. Very proud of you in that you have listened to what people have said. I would shoot at 2.8 to get the speed of light on your side. The 40D is sublime at 1600 so use if if you need it. Now, the next thing is this, shoot tight, crop tighter.
Examples below, just lost the dead space on the left side of the shot.

In the meantime, well done.

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Been looking forward to seeing the difference, and it was well worth the wait! Great stuff Kel, I won't bother coming up to Vigo any more :LOL:

Like the others have said, don't be afraid of ISO 800, 1600 etc... the 40d is superb with noise handling. Av should be all you need for sport too... use that f2.8!

The stool is also a great idea, and is what I normally use, especially at the bigger venues. At places like the Stoop, it's pretty much compulsory - at Vigo, you're in a very fortunate position to have free use of the whole touchline! Does help keep things a bit more steady though...

Looked like a nice sunny day too... typical! :bang:

great series,

I like no 8 and no 9 of a no 8 :confused:

They are great pics really show the determination of the players, the thread has also got a lot of useful info in it about setup and composition as well which will really help me (and others) learn :)

I like 8. Gives the impression of a 'path of destruction' all the way to the try line.

Theres something to be said for blurr to excentuate movement in a shot, however, I like to see sweat/muck just hanging there in mid air, if its possible which it isn't always.
Need to lose a couple of players, make it a blokes game:D

Yes the last three ar f/3.2 and f/2.8, the light must have been fading cos shutter speed is no faster.
dunno what Av & Tv are, just try it on aperture priority, and set the aperture to f/2.8 iso 400, the camera will do everything else, you can always move to something else.
Its just....its a fast lens, shame not to take advantage of that.

The light was fading and I hadn't read the manual yet so I just played. Will play more this weekend when we play Crowborough. Thanks for your comments though

Well done. I remember your despondant posts of blurry shots several months back.....what a difference a bit of decent kit makes eh?

Bob

Thanks very much Bob, does make a difference, just got to keep my horizons straight now!

MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. Very proud of you in that you have listened to what people have said. I would shoot at 2.8 to get the speed of light on your side. The 40D is sublime at 1600 so use if if you need it. Now, the next thing is this, shoot tight, crop tighter.
Examples below, just lost the dead space on the left side of the shot.

In the meantime, well done.

Thanks very much, have more to take on board, can only get better (hopefully!) - Thanks for the cropping advice, always a bit scared to crop too much but thanks for showing me your edits

Great stuff, keep up the good work (y)

Thanks Ally

Been looking forward to seeing the difference, and it was well worth the wait! Great stuff Kel, I won't bother coming up to Vigo any more :LOL:

Like the others have said, don't be afraid of ISO 800, 1600 etc... the 40d is superb with noise handling. Av should be all you need for sport too... use that f2.8!

The stool is also a great idea, and is what I normally use, especially at the bigger venues. At places like the Stoop, it's pretty much compulsory - at Vigo, you're in a very fortunate position to have free use of the whole touchline! Does help keep things a bit more steady though...

Looked like a nice sunny day too... typical! :bang:

Cheers mate - might have been sunnyish for a while but it was colder - my fingers were frozen even with my gloves on. I'll let you know when we've got home game in the New Year

great series,

I like no 8 and no 9 of a no 8 :confused:

Thanks - I take it you've played no.8 then

They are great pics really show the determination of the players, the thread has also got a lot of useful info in it about setup and composition as well which will really help me (and others) learn :)

Thanks Susie, yes, I quite agree, very useful post as have been all the posts helping me. Wouldn't have got these shots if it wasn't for everyone on here

:agree: Well done for taking it all on board, very nice set of image & a definite improvement (y)

Thanks very much :D

I like 8. Gives the impression of a 'path of destruction' all the way to the try line.

Thanks Chonga, yes, there were a few other players lying on the floor but I was too busy chimping to realise and nearly didn't get that one :LOL:

Great stuff kelack (y)

Thansk P-E :D

Back